Monday, October 14, 2013

Monday, Monday 10-15-13

O.k., this is getting old: My mother's desk computer (a Pavillion) does not have a USB port that I can fit my camera cable into.  So I trudge into the kitchen (a least 15 steps) to her laptop.  And the blankety blank laptop can't see the camera.  (Yes, I held it up to the screen.)  So ... no pictures for you!  I'll work on it.  But I'm technologically frustrated.

                                                                 *******************

A morning in California is a morning that must begin with huevos rancheros. [insert picture here] Well, my version of it anyway.  I chopped up previously cooked sweet Italian sausage (Mom doesn't like the hot ones the way I do) and scrambled an egg on top.  Then it was the fresh salsa that made it the best!  No, no freshly squeezed orange juice -- the oranges won't be ripe until January or so.

Speaking of seasons.  Apparently, in California, they don't necessarily change their wardrobe as much as they change their lawn.  When I got here, they had already scalped the lawn and it looked brown and ugly.  This morning they were doing a bit more scalping and raking.  When I asked why they didn't just use a mower with a bag, Mom said, "When they use the bag, they don't empty it in time and it's blowing out the bag."  Which as you might perceive is not an answer to the question but rather a comment on the landscapers' inefficiency.  Next, they re-seed it.  I asked why because everything in California grows like crazy.  Mom said they plant a different grass, probably rye in the winter and it's blue grass in the summer.  Who knew?

                                    **************************************

I'm learning so much! While eating my huevos rancheros, I flipped on the TV.  Did you know that if you say it in English, it's "end-dive," but if you say it in French, it's "on-deev"?  Yeah, I'll bet you knew that.  What I didn't know is that endive (however you wish to pronounce it) is really the bottom of a chicory root!  The legend is that a farmer in France had thrown his chicory roots in a root cellar and he would later dry it, roast it, and use it as a coffee substitute.  But when he went down to fetch it, endive had sprouted from the bottom of the chicory.

In California, they grow endive two different ways.  One is by planting chicory seeds outside in a field (it takes six months to grow the endive) and the other is to plant them underground in total darkness.  The farmer explained that if you shut off your flashlight there, there is not one bit of light.  There were stacks and rows of wooden boxes with the endive on top.  Apparently, the dark underground space makes the chicory think it's growing correctly.

Then the show switched to a chef who told us how to make "Honey Crisp Apple and Endive Salad."  As you can imagine, it doesn't take a cooking genius to figure that one out.  But he did add walnuts and the juice of a myer lemon.

                                                       *******************

So Brian drove Mom and me to see "The Sound of Music" at the community theater in Palm Springs. (I forget the name.)  Sally had gotten us the tickets, so we had front row seats.  That was good except for the fact that the costumer had left raw edges on many of the dresses (there were a LOT of dresses).  That's o.k. but whoever was backstage checking costumes didn't have the sense to cut off the hanging threads.  It drove me nuts!  I guess I'm more ocd in some areas than I had thought.

The sound system was awful, creating booms and pops and crackles.  The singing was quite good except when the kids got screetchy.  Brian declared that Maria needed botox (because she could have been the grandmother to the kids) and we all decided that Maria's fake boobs were four sizes too big.  (They really should have gotten a credit in the program all on their own.)  Mom couldn't find the Maria in the program and others explained to us that she is an Equity actor and the theater had lost its Equity status.  So she was incognito, except the full time residents all know her.

Now that bemused me.  Is losing your Equity status the same as being defrocked? Or does it just mean that you didn't pay your dues? Capt. Von Trapp was a good singer, but he was in his 70's and it was a bit painful to see him kissing "Maria."  Anyway, it was good to get out and see Sally and Brian.
                                                              *******************************

I went to the pool yesterday -- after 3:30 p.m. as Mom had instructed -- and it was wonderful.  I was reading short stories on my Kindle by AG Pompano.  I had met Ang at the last CrimeBake and he has recruited me to volunteer at this upcoming CrimeBake.  His stories are great! I highly recommend them.  And they are only 99 cents!  I sure hope others are buying his more expensive stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/A.-J.-Pompano/e/B0045118R4/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

He said it's cheaper to get his stuff in the "It's Just a Matter of Crime" collection.

Next I'll try to get Archer Mayor's new book. But I'll see if I can get it from the Library.  I don't know if the PS library will allow me to put it on my Kindle, but I'll check the Jones Library first.  

Some of you may know my odd quirk: I basically don't read anything unless I'm on vacation.  My problem is that if I get something I really like, I'll read until I'm done and that usually means overnight.  I haven't tried call out sick at work "due to reading."  Somehow, I don't think that would go over too big.

Today (after Mom gets back from her meeting) we're going into Palm Springs downtown to see if I can buy a Hawaiian shirt that I like.  I need one for the Saturday night banquet at the CrimeBake.  There's a Hawaiian theme and we're supposed to be wearing our Hawaiian shirts.  I have one, but I have had it for so many years, that I'd like a new one! Also, I'll be wearing a grass skirt and handing out leis.  Yes, I will be going to the CrimeBake to get lei-ed.

Well, I'm off to get ready.  Maybe I can find a camera shop in town and get a card reader.  Hmmm ... nope, no slot for a camera memory card.  Darn.  This is really roughing it.  I hope the hot tub is satisfactory ... 

2 comments:

  1. Another great story Tina. And Intrepid means fearless or brave traveler.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tina another great story. Intrepid means fearless or brave traveler

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.