Friday, October 18, 2013

Before Friday's Villagefest 10-18-13

We visited

 
 
the Palm Springs Desert Art Museum.  This metallic sculpture had arrived some time last year.

Mom and I use the elevator which is to the right of the front side of the building.



 
I was fascinated by the texture on the mountains.  The elevator is to the left just before the Annenberg Theater box office which you see named here.
 
Below you see "my dog," which is the Nara sculpture.  Last year, he was on loan to the new Palm Desert Museum and I was not amused.
 
 
Many of you have heard me try to describe the size of my dog.  So here's a way to judge.
 
 


What follows is a random collection of things I like (or think is weird) and many are things that I have not photographed before.  See if you can figure out what I really liked (or not!).
 
 
Below is what I call "The Green Thing."  Sorry, didn't get real name.
 
The piece above glittered and glistened in the light.  It's painted in green underneath.  It turns out that the glitter is provided by millions of staples crisscrossed and parallel all over the place.  The "paper" is created by strips of paper and canvas.  Below that photo is a detail of the back of the work above.  You can see these staples are holding the strips together.  It was amazing!


 
A guard told us that if you walk in a circle around the stacked bowls, an optical illusion makes you think they are moving and turning.  Yup! It's true.
 
 
 
Yes, it's a chair made of stuffed animals.
 
 
 
 
 
 
I wonder if this is Eve?
 
 
Below, you see George Montgomery's bio.  I don't remember him as an actor, but I met him a few years ago at the Desert Museum (former President Ford was there too).  At that time, they were rededicating the museum and they had Montgomery's whole dining room on display.  Now it's only his hutch, with branding irons on it, and some of his art collection.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Glass Desert Flower
 
 
Glass Man
 
 
All Glass Pieces
 
 
Greetings, Earthlings!
 
 
Below is my favorite hat.  You'll notice that it's right near the restrooms.  Hmpf!
 
 
 
This detail shows what is not readily apparent: this work is made from over 3,000 corsage pins.  Those lines on the inside of the 'ribbon' are the pointy parts.  Would be kind of painful to wear!
 
This is "Pickett" by Judy Chicago and it's named after Wilson Pickett.  Years ago, when I was in my twenties, Mom took me to see her "Dinner Party" when it was in Boston.  (Dinner Party now lives in Brooklyn.)  Judy Chicago was the first time I viewed a feminist artist's work.  My eyes were opened.
 
 
 
And that's it!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmmmm I thought I'd left a message here before saying how interesting all this is but I must have been dreaming LOL. Thanks for sharing your trip with everyone Tina. No wonder you like going there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed the show and your comments.
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.