Wednesday, October 23, 2013

I Can't Believe It's Almost Wednesday! 10-22-13

This morning was I Hop day! Yay!  For some reason, I was needing pancakes.



Yes, I'm a tourist.  The hand railing and the door handles are wrapped because they get so hot in the sun.  Today it was a mere 93 degrees F (not at breakfast though, that was later).  Apparently, it's usually around 87 in October.  But we didn't hit the 2003 record of 105 F. (mercifully).

***********************************************************************
So last Sunday we went to the College of the Desert (COD) for the Street Fair.  The parking is now shaded because they have put solar panels on stilts.  The panels create the shade for the cars while soaking up the sun.  They have done this at the high school in Palm Springs too.  It's very creative.  Of course, they don't have to worry about the weight of snow ...

Anyway, I didn't take a lot of pictures because most of you have seen the Street Fair before.  And it was bloody hot because we went around Noon.  It's actually hotter here at 3 p.m., but still it was hot!  The gold blouse below was just the tip of the surface of the Palm Spring bling.  The Street Fair is in Palm Desert, but they like PS Bling too.



 

I think I might need one of these garden ornaments, but I don't think they would fit in my suitcase.



This horse bag was surrounded by Kliban cat bags.




Do you see the solar panels on the right (above)?  This is another giant parking lot for the students and the vendors set up under the solar panels.



This photo doesn't do justice to these glittering bags.  I think it's because it was so sunny.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

On the way back, Mom asked if I wanted to see the Palm Desert Art Museum.  She stayed in the car 'because it's really quite small.'  Well, she wasn't kidding -- you can do it in 15 minutes!  I did linger a bit though.

 





 
 
 
 
Below: Exhibit name.

 
 
Below: two Dale Chihuly glass sculptures.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

I think of this as the Picasso Nook.
 
Picasso
Picasso
 
 
 
Forgot to get the artist's name of the tryptich.
 
 
 
I should know who did this, but I can't remember! It's right at the front door as you enter.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I really wanted to move the three plastic layers of the Rauschenberg above, but I didn't think I could get away with it since the sign was kind of explicit.
 
 
 
This is a wood carving.
 
 
********************************************************************************
 
So today (Tuesday) after our luxurious I Hop brunch, we went for groceries and cruised a couple of stores and then it was time for Happy Hour!  We went to 360 North which is a new restaurant opened by Tony who used to work where Mom had her champagne brunch birthday party.  Well ... the "well" drinks were only $4 so we moved from a fabulous appetizer of mussels with cannellini beans, tomatoes, and a bit of beef to a fabulous lasagna (with chorizo on top) for me and ravioli for Mom.  The second bourbon on the rocks rounded out the meal nicely.
 
We zipped back here, got into our suits and were in time to see the evening star from the pool.  It had cooled down considerably, so the hot tub was wonderful.  And since we were the only two at the pool, it had again become "Mom's pool."  We were back in time for NCIS, which is a good thing since we have watched all of the Homeland and all of Nurse Jackie that there is.
 
Last night, we perused HBO on Demand and alit on Lewis Black.  He was SO funny, we had tears running down our face from laughing.  If you can't tolerate the F word, he's not for you.  But he's REALLY funny.  When he was talking about last winter (I think it was at least a couple of years ago), he said he would walk outside and say, "F...., it's COLD!"  Now, what New Englander hasn't said that?
 
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 
A couple of days ago, while in the pool, Eric was saying that he used to have a house on the side of a mountain and he had a glass humming bird feeder right on a window.  He said it was huge, holding almost a half gallon of syrup.  He said it was 'like LAX' with a bunch of hummers drinking while others hovered, waiting their turn.  Normally, hummingbirds are very territorial, but they were able to wait their turn.  He said, eventually, he could get them to sit on his hand.
 
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
 
A few of the Canadians have returned, but not all.  The Gay Pride Parade will be this Sunday after I have already returned.  I'll miss all of the bling in the parade!  Maybe I should buy some glitter socks ...

2 comments:

  1. GREAT stories and pics, Tina! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!!! LOVE the garden statues!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I thought you might like the garden bling. They wouldn't fit in my suitcase.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.