Saturday, September 13, 2014

Saturday Sausage and Egg

I'm here waiting for the sausage (hot Italian chicken) to heat up so I can throw my egg in.

I, who thinks Pinterest is a great waste of time and cannot fathom why people would pin things for other people to look at, have just spent 45 minutes on Pinterest.  I don't pin them, I send them.  So, yeah, that is hypocritical, but ... why would someone want to look at a whole board (a collection) of pictures and phrases that I like?  The woman who first introduced me to the concept a few years ago likes flowers (as I do) and had pinned numerous pictures of flowers to her board.  Okaaaay.  And I would want to "follow" her board to see what she had added?  Really?

I have to admit that the various iterations of Grumpy Cat do really amuse me.  I have his same problem: when I'm not doing anything with my face, I look grumpy.  (It's the jowl thing.)  However, lately, I really am grumpy.  Following is a partial list of why I'm grumpy.

1.  When I get home from work, how come the dirty dishes didn't wash themselves?

2.  Ditto for the laundry.

3.  Why does the oil company give me choices about my winter oil?  Why don't they just say, "Pay the feckin' bill!"?  After all, that's the end result every time.  And I wouldn't have to worry about missing the deadline.

4.  Why do my grocery points-off-for-gasoline only last for a month and then disappear?  I bought the groceries, I did what they said.  If I had been on a cruise for a month, I lose my ability to get ten cents off a gallon because my points disappeared.  Doesn't sound right.

5.  Now that the college students are back, I have to schedule my heart attack or falling down the stairs to a Monday through Thursday because I'll never get an ambulance.

6.  Why doesn't Netflix come with a dead man's switch? That way, when I fall asleep, it will turn off and I won't miss any part of the Borgias.  Currently, I just fill in with about 5 instances of coitus and 3 murders and I'm following the plot just fine.  (Note to self: always have a food taster when visiting the Pope.)

7.  I used to make fun of those people with a "To Read" list.  Now I have become that person and the stack of books is taller than I am.  And that's not including those on Kindle.

8.  I am still unpublished.  Of course, I realize, you have to submit something to get published.  Anyone have any ideas?  It's really embarrassing when I go to CrimeBake (November) and I'm surrounded by fabulous authors and they ask what I have written.  I mumble something about being illiterate, but that's wearing thin.

So, as you can see, I have plenty of reasons for being grumpy.  Of course, the biggest one is: winter is a coming in.  Blast.  Phooey.  Shit.
%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

If one of your favorite authors will be at the New England CrimeBake 2014, and you want me to get an autographed copy of their book, let me know.  You will have to pay for the book and shipping (if necessary).  My favorites, Kate Flora, Hallie Ephron, Hank Phillipi Ryan, Ang Pompano, and others will be there.  The big guest speaker/celebrity will be Craig Johnson, author of the Longmier series (which spawned the TV show).

Kate Flora has a new true crime book out.  The db was in Canada, but the Canadians borrowed a US cadaver dog.  From a Google search:

Award-winning mystery and true crime writer Kate Flora is the author of 14 books, including the true crime story Death Dealer and the novel And Grant You Peace, both forthcoming in the fall of 2014. Her book Finding Amy (true crime), co-written with a Portland, Maine deputy police chief, was a 2007 Edgar Award nominee. Kate's other titles include the Thea Kozak mysteries and the starred-review Joe Burgess police series, the third of which, Redemption, won the 2013 Maine Literary Award for Crime Fiction.
Kate is a founding member the New England Crime Bake conference, a founder of Level Best Books where she worked as an editor and publisher for seven years and has served as international president of Sisters in Crime. In an earlier life she was an attorney, protecting battered kids and chasing deadbeat dads for the Maine attorney general's office, and representing the Maine Human Rights.

There's a new Joe Burgess mystery coming out soon. I don't 
how Kate does it -- she's always traveling to conferences and book signings while writing.  She's amazing.  

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I have another mini rant:

I have trouble keeping milk and using it before it spoils.  I really only use a touch in my coffee and if I'm baking.  So, I have been buying those individual servings of milk in a box that you don't have to refrigerate until they are open.  (Can you say anaerobic?)

But ... I thought I'd try one of those flavored pretend creamers -- it had no fat.  It's vanilla flavored and the first time I tried it, I thought, "Damn! That's sweet!" but I figured it was the artificial flavoring.  Today, I actually read the ingredients.  1. Water.  O.k. that sounds reasonable.  2.  Cane sugar.  SUGAR!  I don't use sugar in my coffee.  (Well, you do NOW, Babe.)

Why don't they make it so we can understand what we are buying??  Why doesn't the front label say, "This shit is full of sugar.  Use milk."?  Well, I guess I can figure that one out.  But it still makes me mad.

I am still grateful to the 50 something Burger King employee who informed me that an iced mocha coffee is FULL of sugar.  He said, "Oh yeah, they add a load of syrup," and he offered me a sip to try of the coffee.  I couldn't drink it, it was so sweet.  They still got a sale of regular coffee and I didn't go into a diabetic coma!

***************************************************

I can't avoid it any longer -- unless I turn on Netflix -- I have to go work in the garden.  Ta ta for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.