Monday, October 5, 2015

Saturday, October 3, 2015

Even though it was cloudy, chilly and sinus pain inducing, Ann and I decided to go to Yankee Candle for the craft fair there. 



When I took this picture off my camera, I labeled it "Yank Cand Bull," and then I thought, 'Is that right?'  Sure enough, it's a cow.  I thought it very interesting that you can't show male genitalia even in a bovine statue.  But it's o.k. to show the female mammary glands. Anyway, back to fun touristy-type things.

By the way, these pictures are all from my trusty phone which Sharon says is, "old!". I reminded her that so am I, but she still thinks I'm a troglodyte. 

I didn't take pictures of the art nor crafts -- it was very similar to the show two years ago.  But ... we were both amazed at the grounds of Yankee Candle.  It has become a Disney-like destination with candles. I couldn't even imagine how many hundreds of mum plants they had.



This is at the beginning of our journey and the pic is to show you how huge the leaf of this elephant ear plant is.  Yes, the wind is blowing, no I did not tease my hair up that way! (I'm 5 foot six inches tall.)


 

This squash at the entrance looked to be about waist high to me. It's fenced in, obviously so it won't run away. I think it's a squash because it really is so white. Is there a new breed of white pumpkings?



Here are just a few of the plantings. It tickled me that not only did they use decorative cabbage, but they also used kale as seen here. Kale reins in our area and I seem to be the only one that needs kale surrounded by chourico and potatoes in soup to tolerate it!  The spiky things in the back are not cat o'nine tails, but I don't know what they are.



See these brown spikes? They looked so furry and soft that I wanted to pat them.  That's probably why they are in the back and it would be most unseemly to tramp through the garden to touch them.

I know that I talked about the hundreds of mums, and they are hanging about every four feet along the porch.  And what a porch! Unfortunately, the picture I took of the porch mums is fubar.

We had to park all the way at the end of Yankee Candle (where the top shop is) and we walked to the other end where the craft building is.  I know that we walked at least a quarter of a mile! I should have counted the mums but I didn't think of it.


This, too, is at the front entrance.  If you look straight back, that's where Chandlers is. That's their restaurant. (You may or may not know that a chandler is a candle maker.)  We had a yummy lunch there.


This is a shot of Chandlers from our table.  The chandeliers have real candles in them. I suspect they light them at night. I remember having dinner there years ago and they gave each guest a pair of dinner candles. I don't know if they still do that.



After a lovely lunch, how could I leave and not leave you with this 
beauty?

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful pics! But just to clarify, you are not a trog...You just need a new phone...it may help you with your chicken problems. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I left a message here yesterday about the plants with the brown spikes that look like cats tails but it doesn't seem to be here so here I go again. Thanks for sharing great photos again Tina.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.