Tuesday, February 20, 2018

Birth of a Quilt

My landscape quilt teacher, Betzi Sylvan, is always exhorting her students to take pictures of a work in progress. I haven't really done that in her classes because it's all new to me and, for me, it's very fast.

When people ask, "How long did it take you to make that?" I really have no idea. I think about a project long before I make the first fabric cut. Then when I get to cutting and stitching, I "grow" the quilt. I could never be one of those quilters who make a block -- and then make 43 more just like it. It's ambiguous, but I liken it to a wood sculptor who says, 'I go with what the wood tells me.'

Yeah, we're a flaky lot. But here is a glimpse into a quilt I'm working on. I cut out the fabric over a couple of days. I made the strip blocks on one day. On another day (or two?) I sewed rows together. Today I have been putting on sashing (many people would call it a border).

 The colors aren't quite right here: the purple is darker. These are the blocks with purple sashing. Not all of it is attached because I wanted to see what should go with the purple.



 This really is a light blue with a pattern, but it 'reads' as almost white.

 This addition is more purple than is shown. I don't know why cameras have such a problem with purple. Anyway, I'm getting closer.

 Finally, I like this blue, but it still needs something. But right now it's time for a break. So while this may be boring to many of you, at least it keeps me out of bars!

[Speaking of which, we had a fabulous time playing trivia last night at the Ace Hotel with our hostess, Bella da Ball.]

1 comment:

  1. I really like the colors you've used --- VERY pretty and interesting combinations!

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.