Sunday, February 7, 2016

Super Bowl 2016

So I probably should not tell some of you who live on the left coast that I filled up my tank at $1.68 per gallon. That's using 10 cents off per gallon due to my Stop and Shop grocery purchases.

It is a fine day to pump gas -- the temperature is 43.6 F. and the sun is blindingly shining.  However, I could have done without my jeans and underwear inexorably sliding off my butt. Yes, I do know what a belt is. I was/am wearing one. It apparently does not know its use aside from as a tourniquet. Luckily, I had my long winter coat on so nobody getting gas around me fainted.

It was time: I had to do it. I bought a lot of food so that I will have some cooked and ready to heat up when I get home from work. So far, I have cooked chicken Italian sausage with kale (I can't figure out why they put kale in it, but it was marked down), baked chicken thighs in crumbs (using pork rind dust), plain baked chicken, baked chicken with Montreal seasoning.  I have yet to make eggplant with ricotta and meatloaf and meat balls.  I have sliced the radishes.

Radishes? you say.  Yes, a low carb blog (Carol Ketchum) poster said they loved radishes cooked in bacon fat with bits of bacon.  Now we already know that bacon makes everything better, but this seems like a yummy substitute for potato. According to Google, there is 0.2 carbohydrate in radish.  Woo hoo!

From the number of people at the supermarket, you would have thought we were getting a snow storm. It was packed! Almost all of the parking spaces were filled to the edge of the parking lot. It was pretty apparent there had been a run on store made guacamole and fresh salsa. The chips still seemed in good supply. But then, I was there early -- around 1 p.m. I wonder if there are last minute Super Bowl shoppers the way there is for Christmas.  Woe to the guy who was supposed to do it earlier and has to return home to the wife without all of the items on her list!

Today after church I was supposed to get a lesson on how to use the commercial dishwasher.  I did, sort of. It was not working. It turns out that there is no hot water, so the machine 'knew' that and would not complete the filling up process. Luckily, I don't need it until Feb. 20, but they were glad to find out that repair is needed before Shrove Tuesday (Feb. 9th).  That's when all who show up get free pancakes and sausages.  There's merriment and bingo after that. I probably will pass because I cannot eat that many carbs.

Speaking of which, this low carb diet is really working for me. I lowered my A1C (average blood sugar level over 90 days) one full percentage point. My doctor and I are very happy about that. As you know, I have a ways to go with weight loss, but keep your fingers crossed (or say a prayer if you are so inclined).

This afternoon, I'm going over to Ann and Rod's house ostensibly to watch the Super Bowl. I just really only watch the commercials and half time. I just don't really like watching guys run into each other causing pain and injury. Tennis is much more civilized. I'll probably bring a quilt to bind. I have procrastinated for so long, that I have to finish this one!! And the Stupid Bowl, er Super Bowl, will keep me in one place hopefully long enough to finish the binding.

I had Friday off. We had a late opening at Noon due to the 5 inches of snow, but I took the rest of the day off as vacation. It was still snowing and I just couldn't face cleaning my car off when coming home.  Consequently, today is the first day I left the house. I had been so tired on Friday that I had completely slept through the phone with the robo call telling us of the delayed opening. I'm not sure why I was so tired, but I think it was because my back had been hurting. It pretty much hurts all of the time, so I ignore it. Although some times I use a cane.  Maybe when summer comes it will stop hurting.

The League of Women Voters has been having a table in the lobby of the Library so they can register people to vote. I'm really happy they are doing that. We need everyone possible to vote, especially in the presidential election.  Traditionally, Amherst is almost exclusively Democratic, so it will definitely be a minority of for those who might vote for Trump or one of the others. I have to say that I am ashamed to hear some of the bigoted hate speech spewing from some of these candidates' mouths. And that's all I'm going to say. I try to avoid politics and the nastier sides of real life.

Life is too short to not enjoy it and to be mean-spirited. Ooops! Just realized that I also have a boneless pork roast in the oven. I'm going to go check on that. Ta ta!

1 comment:

  1. On our news this morning they were telling us that the city prices for unleaded fuel was 99.9 cents a litre. What a bummer I paid 1.49 last week at our service station. Country people seem to miss out on a lot. 😕

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.