Sunday, February 28, 2016

Fabulous Birthday!

Thank you a thousand times to Cyndi!! First she took me to a wonderful brunch at Dakota, a restaurant in Connecticut (near Newington). The prime rib was wonderful and I only ate one 1 inch piece of potato. Was I surprised when at the end of our meal, we were surrounded by wait staff singing "Happy Birthday!"


This is as I listen to them -- wow, is that embarrassing! 

You know how to blow out a candle right? You just put your lips together and blow.


(For you youngsters, that's a line said by Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Bogart. She was talking about whistling. It was very romantic when she said it.)

After eating more than any human should, I accompanied Cyndi to Catherine's, a dress shop. Cyndi got some fancy duds for the upcoming Amherst Club Gala. It's a dress up affair and the ticket money goes to a half dozen local charities.  She let me be pushy and tell her to 'try it on for size.' Unfortunately, she was right, that dress was not for her. But she got a great looking pants outfit with lots of bling on the blouse. I told her that she needs another outfit for the Sammy Awards.

And I couldn't resist, of course. How could I resist these colors?



It's a blouse. Cyndi asked if I were going to wear it to work, but if so, I'll have to wash it a.s.a.p. so I can hang it to dry. If it's as warm as today, I should wear it.

Altogether now, "I can't believe I'm outside without a coat in February!!" Cyndi said this a half dozen times and she's right! It was 55 degrees!

But wait: there's more! Then, joy, oh joy, we went to the art museum in New Britain, Connecticut!! Wahoo.  Since I'm flagging -- Cyndi picked me up at 10 a.m. and we got home at 20 minutes before 5 p.m. -- I'll just post the pictures and let you sort them out!


By now, you should recognize this as quickly as I do. It's a glass sculpture by Dale Chilhuly.


I loved the bear bench.



The second floor was closed due to the installation of a new exhibit, but this sculpture (above) enticed you to go closer.





This is my all time favorite -- you know how I love me a still life. There was a bowl of peaches that was a close second to this, though.




I thought this was a very sweet painting of a little girl.




I was very impressed to learn that Cyndi knew all about Charles Ethan Porter, an African American painter. (Sorry, didn't snap one of his.) It's the end of Black History Month so the museum was holding a presentation with speakers, but we were too late to go in -- besides, we needed to walk around after the sumptuous brunch!


These penguins are at the entrance to the New Britain Art Museum.





This has a copy of one of my favorite John Singer Sargent's portraits. The envelopes are addressed to him and to the Lady in Black and others. This is one of the best examples of tromp l'oeil that I have seen! Did you think it was a real blotter?




The only potential sour note of the day: American Airlines made changes in my flight returning from Palm Springs in May. They have me leaving Chicago (O'Hare) and hour before I get there. Sigh. Luckily, I booked it through Travelocity who has promised to make it right. Sheesh.

Happy Monday to you all! 

P.S. I forgot to say that Google had a birthday cake and cupcakes on the doodle. I thought, "I wonder whose birthday it is." It was mine -- it said "Happy Birthday Tina" when I hovered the cursor over it. That was fun, but creepy.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you had a great time Tina and I love the blue and green colours my favourite colours. 😊 Thanks for sharing your photos and story.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.