Sunday, September 20, 2015

Sad News Followed by Lighter Fare

I was very shocked and saddened to hear that our Town Manager, John Musante, passed away in his sleep last night. He was 53 and seemed to be an honorable man.
*****************************************************
From the 'now I've seen everything file':

Watching CBS Sunday Morning, I learned that there is a "Fan of Washers and Dryers" Club.  They showed a meeting of guys in the Boston area who are so in love with different models of washing machines and dryers that they come from all over the country to -- wash their clothes.  One guy only collects aqua colored washers and dryers.  They showed a couple of models in this guy's basement. I thought they said he had 32 working washers, but that can't possibly be right, can it?

One found the spin cycle "thrilling." Another liked "The Pumper" and yet another washer would totally slosh water out of the machine if you didn't close the lid while it was agitating.  The club has over 2,000 members
**************************************************
Try this in your browser:

https://www.facebook.com/HuffPostGoodNews/videos/736220959797424/?fref=nf

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I bought a little bowling ball sized watermelon yesterday at the Farmers' Market and it's as sweet as honey!

Speaking of which (honey), I saw the take down of an amazing colony of bees on FaceBook.  I think these two women were called in by the homeowners because the women keep bees.  The colony had made vertical circles of their honeycomb.  It was amazing.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Paul and Deb had a lovely relaxing week in Bar Harbor.  They went on a 30 mile bike ride this morning.  I couldn't do that even when I was young! I'm happy for them, but I think we should hook up those bikes so that they are generating electricity or something.  Maybe they could be churning butter ...


@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Tonight I bought some coconut flour for further adventures in low carbohydrate baking.  I made some pumpkin bread that was o.k. To be honest, I didn't like the pumpkin pie spice that I had made from scratch.  I should have left the cloves out.  Some recipes had it with it in, some not.  (I didn't have any pre-made pumpkin pie spice.) Everybody at work liked the taste.

I also did not like the texture, but I think I goofed and got almond meal/flour instead of just almond flour so that it was grittier than I expected.  But no baking tonight.  Am too pooped.

I've been doing laundry (oh joy) and I chopped a few bushes (more to go), and I'm savoring the last part of my weekend. 

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I mentioned a fisher cat to Mom and she didn't know what they are. No, I did not see one, but I heard a weird noise just now in the back yard and I wondered if it could belong to one.  Here's the results of my Google search.


A lot of people have never heard of a fisher cat. What is a fisher cat? The fisher cat is a North American marten, a medium sized mustelid. The fisher is agile in trees and has a slender body that allows it to pursue prey into hollow trees or burrows in the ground. Despite its name, this animal seldom eats fish; the name may originate from the French wordfichet, which referred to the pelt of a European polecat. In some regions the fisher is known as a pekan which is derived from its name in the Abenaki language.
Adults weigh between 2 and 7 kg (4-15 lbs) and are between 65 and 125 cm (29-47 inches) in length. Males are about twice the size of females, with the smallest females having been recorded being as small as 1.4 kg (3.1 lbs), hardly larger than most other martens, and males at as much as 9 kg (20 lbs). Their coats are darkish brown, with a black tail and legs; some individuals have a cream-colored patch on the chest. 

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.