Tuesday, October 7, 2014

If It's Tuesday, It Must Be SciFi

So, okay, I'm a failure at titles. But I am sitting in my office waiting for 7 p.m. because that's when the SciFi/Fantasy Book Club meets.  Yep, I'm 3/4 of the way through Poison Study by Maria Snyder. Supposedly, the club is only going to discuss the first half of the book.

Way back in my youth -- as an undergraduate -- I was turned on to SciFi by the guy who later turned out to be my first husband.  I read Heinlein and more classics that I've long since forgotten.  But I never forgot my visceral love, no lust, of Harlan Ellison's writing.  (I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, or, The Beast Who Shouted Love at the Heart of the World.)

Nope, this is no Harlan Ellison.  By the way, he has done a lot of writing for TV and he wrote a wonderful treatise on why he won't write for free.  But back to Poison Study: it's not bad but more fantasy than I'd like.  It's a different world with different rules and people still employ hand to hand combat (no guns, just bow and arrows, knives, maces, etc.).  Our heroine is long suffering and the book actually begins with her in a pitch black stinking dungeon.  The way the plot is advancing, I don't think I will be surprised which is why I'm lukewarm about this book.  IF I am surprised, I will be back extolling its virtues!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

This book, however, has been a welcome relief from reality.  I went to the dentist yesterday morning to get my temporary crown (the second of three appointments).  Do I need to say more than I needed two shots of novocaine and it had worn off before he was done?  So after over two hours in the chair, I crawl back to work.  In the afternoon, I needed a snack and I had brought unsalted nuts.  Yup.  I broke a tooth on the other side. I went back to the dentist (the office is about 4 buildings down the street from the Library) and he kept saying, 'This is bad. This is not good.'  I need another crown.  After a deep discount from the dentist, I'll be paying over $1500 in co-payments and there will be $25 left in my dental insurance coverage. [I wonder if I should stop paying the premium ... ]  Bah humbug.

*****************************************************************************
As some people would say, "It's fixin' to rain."  Supposedly, around 4 a.m. tomorrow, we will be getting a downpour.  We already had buckets of rain last weekend, knocking all of the turned (color) leaves off. However, many trees haven't changed color and are holding onto their leaves.  I can't wait to see what happens, but it would be nice to see some fall color!

The pumpkins are everywhere and I'm wanting to make some pumpkin soup.  I'm just not sure if I want to start with the small sugar pumpkins, but I could roast them with another spaghetti squash.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

By the way, I have discovered the easiest breakfast sandwich to make ahead: line a muffin tin with Canadian Bacon (that's what we call little rounds of uncured ham, Moose) and toss in some shredded cheese. (I probably won't use jalepeno cheddar next time.)  Then put in a beaten egg or two, parseley -- whatever you want.  Bake until done.  I wrap a slice of bread or toast around it and head out the door to work!

Gotta go.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.