Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Yes, I'm Still Here

Except for taking the trash out to the curb on Sunday night, I hadn't been out of the house since Saturday afternoon. Today (Wednesday), I ventured out.

The weather was lovely, in the 70s, sunny with a nice breeze. But since I'm still hacking and coughing with a heavy cold, I stopped into the doctor's office to see if I could have an appointment. I had forgotten that they close for lunch, so I was faced with three empty chairs in the reception area. For pete's sake, the Library office stays open during lunch! We traded off lunch times. I guess that's too difficult for the doctors' office. Luckily, I only had to wait 3 minutes. But I digress.

Me:   I need an appointment. I'm coughing up green and I've been sick since Friday night.

She:  We don't have any same day appointments today with the doctor.

Me: That's o.k., a nurse would be fine.

She: We don't have any nurse here today. Would you like a same day appointment tomorrow?

Me: I guess I don't have a choice. Sure. What time?

She: You'll have to call tomorrow morning to get a same day appointment.

Do you ever feel like you're living Catch 22? I went across the street to the pharmacy and bought cough syrup (with no sugar). While I was there, I had brought a new blood sugar test kit with me because I couldn't get the lancet contraption to work. The pharmacist said they would be right with me and I said I didn't need a pharmacist (they looked really busy). I told the 12 year old pharmacy aide what I needed and she said, "I don't know how that works." Maybe if I had dressed it up like a cell phone ... 

The pharmacist finally got it to work, but I think it's not quite right because the needle part doesn't protrude far enough outside of the protective housing. But I'll make it work.

At this point, I'm on a crabby road to frustration but I continue on to our local Big Y supermarket (right next to the pharmacy). What could go wrong? One of the things on my list (3 cheers for remembering to bring the list!) was almond flour. Most of the local supermarkets here have Bob's Red Mill brand and it's small, affordable packages. In horror, I see that the Big Y is selling Pillsbury almond flour (guess who has jumped on the ketogenic -- low carb -- craze) for -- wait for it -- $13.85!! WTF.

So I use my voice google on my phone and find out that Walmart (on the way home) has Bob's Red Mill for 8 dollars and change. [At this point, I am at my 5th time out of the car. I started off at the Post Office.] 

Happily, I find the flour aisle. But wait -- there's no Bob's Red Mill. It's some other brand and it's more expensive. On closer inspection I see that the quantity is at least a third more than at the previous store, so I scoop it up.

Then I remember that it would be nice to have a scatter rug in the living room in front of the front door. I find a nice one and throw it in my bag with the cookie rack I REALLY need! I just opened up the rug to get the creases out and there's a pull in it.  Sigh.

****************************************************

My first stop today was to get my mail at the Post Office where I have a box. I got so sick of finding mail in a snowbank or, worse, a nasty letter from the mailman telling me to shovel. My neighbor's box is next to mine and he never once shoveled.

But today was the third time that I got my neighbor's mail in my box. I just happened to check it because when I got back from California, it was crammed full with his mail. I won't recount the whole Post Office encounter because it's even more painful than the doctor's office. It started with a clerk who thought people were addressing my neighbor's mail to my street mailbox ... and proceeded with a supervisor who wanted to do a Spanish Inquisition with me as to what day the mail was left incorrectly. After he told me that he had a newbie deliver on this route twice in the past week, and he continued to question me, I just said, "I'm sick, I have to go."  Apparently, it was too much for him to realize that he had to speak to two carriers (the "regular" and the newbie), so it was necessary to grill me.

*****************************************************

Yes, the hydrangea that Emily gave me for Mothers' Day is doing well. It only had buds when she gave it to me. The white dots are the chemical that's supposed to help it be blue.



 
Yes, the peonies have bloomed.

I have Queen Anne's Lace mixed in with the peonies on the East side.


From the East side of the house.




From the West side of the house.



West side.



For those of you who like purple.


Personally, I think my neighbor waited a tad too long to mow his lawn. Yes, that's hay. He's done this two years in a row. I always feel badly for him because it's so high (at least six inches) and it takes him forever pushing his power mower. Rrrrr, rrrrr, rrrr! The former owner (The Col.) had a riding lawn mower with a bag which is what this guy needs. 

Finally, here is what happens when the cottonwood trees let go.


See that white at the edge of the grass? That's cottonwood seeds. For days now it has looked like it's snowing at various times throughout the day. Add the spring pollen which rings puddles with yellow and it's a very Daliesque setting!

By the way, my pots of violas (above) love this cool weather. Next time, I'll show you pictures of my tomatoes and basil.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

I've been watching Frasier on Netflix. I get a kick out of Bulldog, the sportscaster. He is the one that makes all kinds of noises with gongs and whistles and his radio audience eats it up. I found it really funny that because his team lost, he told his audience that he would do his show hanging from the ceiling. And in the last shot of the show, he was hanging from the ceiling. I'm not sure that he really grasps the concept of RADIO. 

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.