Monday, June 25, 2018

Monday Monday, Ba Da ...

Anybody else remember that Mamas and Papas song?

Note to self: remember that two loads of blouses and slacks on hangers are really too heavy to bring upstairs from the laundry. Since I did that twice yesterday, maybe this note will make me remember next time. (Yeah, right.)

****************************************************
Parking Lot Close to the Amherst Cinema -- called The Academy Lot

On Friday, I went to see Won't You Be My Neighbor? which is the movie about Mr. Rogers. It's a fine movie about a fine man. I miss him but I'm glad that he was not here for the horror of taking children away from their parent(s).

His whole mission in life was to tell the world that children have feelings just as strong as adults and they need to be encouraged and uplifted and loved. My favorite song of his (from when I was doing home daycare) is "I Like to Be Told." Let the kids know you're going to Grandma's house or whatever before the actual event. 

The movie is a great mix of file footage of interviews with Fred Rogers, clips from the show, and the clip of his testifying before the Senate committee which saved public television. Everyone should see this movie!


The sign for the Amherst Cinema is on the top left in shadow. I was really taking pictures of the stella d'oro.
********************************************************************************

Then, on Saturday, it was back to the Amherst Cinema for the movie about Hokusai. 

The Great Wave off Kanagawa
Hokusai's most famous: The Wave

I have been crazy about Hokusai's woodcuts and paintings since Mom and I saw an exhibit of his work in the Boston Museum of Fine Arts. Imagine my amazement and delight when I was in Monet's cottage in France and I realized that Monet had a collection of Hokusai's (and others') works! Of course, I hadn't realized that Monet had turned his lily pad laden garden pond into a Japanese garden because he was fascinated with all things Japanese.

The movie was presented by the London Art Museum who had featured Hokusai in the summer of 2017. I would have liked to have seen that because they had the works arranged by themes in various rooms or niches. There was a lot of information including the fact that Hokusai was a very popular illustrator of novels.

There were experts giving the viewer all kinds of facts but I was so taken with a guy named Key (or Keyes, you know how awful my memory is). He got very emotional seeing perhaps the oldest Hokusai print known to exist. He was just overcome with its beauty. It was a privilege to see someone so happy and engrossed by his passion for this art.
******************************************************



Here's my cherry tomato. The nail is discolored because I had just nipped off a sucker branch. Honest.



These are my "regular" sized tomatoes. They are about the size of a cherry tomato.

*******************************************************************************

I learned a very important thing the other day. Even if it won't fill it up, don't put seltzer into one of those travel containers with a straw. I had finished the water and dumped a can of seltzer into the container. Who knew that the seltzer would bubble up the straw and start spewing out of the spout on top? The other people at rehearsal were more amused than I. 


******************************************************
It rained like crazy last night. I really think we got an inch of rain during one half hour. Anyway ... the plants liked it! And I like it because I don't have to water them!





Yeah, I know. Somebody oughta get out there and weed. Still waiting for Somebody to show up. 





******************************************************

Stuff. As George Carlin said, "The only reason we need houses is to hold our stuff." Yesterday I decided to see if I had some sheets and towels that I can give away. Who knew I had so much extra stuff?? I now have three giant trash bags of mostly sheets. And I had already donated the twin sized sheets. Phew! I still have a lot more weeding to do in the linen closet. (Weeding is a library term. They weed the books that nobody is taking out any more or the ones that are falling apart. All of it is to make room for new materials -- but not in my case!)

*****************************************************
So far it's a perfect summer's day. It has just now reached 73 degrees at 11:30 a.m. It probably will go to the mid 80's which is fine with me as long as it's not too humid. Starting at the end of the week, we are supposed to get into over 90 degrees for more than a week. That's when we New Englanders begin to whine. Although ... my next door neighbors have invited me to use their family pass to the War Memorial Pool. That might be fun. Then again, I had better remember to bring ear plugs. It has been a lot of years since I have been at that pool with kids but I have vague memories of a lot of (joyous) screaming.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.