Sunday, October 15, 2017

This and That

I kid you not. I saw a lovely picture of bacon wrapped asparagus in my online low carb group. A woman wrote in and said, "Will you give me the recipe for that, please?"

Oh, gee, I dunno. The recipe could be complicated. Or ...

Ingredients:
asparagus, bacon
Preparation:
Wrap one slice of bacon around one asparagus spear.
Bake at 350 F. until bacon is crisp.

For the benefit of that woman, I think one should add: Eat.

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

More in the way of, "Duh?"

I brought in my coin jar to the bank and when the machine had finished counting it, it was $43.37! (It was a big mason jar.) I brought the slip to the teller, thinking I might get some cash. So I said, "I'd like cash, but I don't want the change." The teller replied, "You know, I have to give you 37 cents." I looked at her; she looked at me. And she added, "Or you could put some in to make it up to $44.00."

Not thinking, I blurted out, "Why can't you deposit the 37 cents, or better yet, just deposit $3.37 and I'll take $40 in cash?" She agreed that she could do that. I hurried out before I started laughing.

******************************************************
Another hit! I made a low carb mini carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. It's Carolyn Ketchum's recipe from her blog "All Day I Dream about Food." 

I forgot to take a picture, but it was really ugly. I left part of it unfrosted because Lisa is not eating dairy products. Luckily, the cake itself was quite yummy. I decorated the top with walnuts and carrot curls. You bake it in 4 or 5 inch ramekins so it's just right for sharing with some friends -- and then it's gone. It's almond flour and the sweetener is Swerve (erithrytol). 

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Well, it's almost Noon and I haven't done a blessed thing except make breakfast and watch a bunch of Law and Orders in a row. My second cup of coffee is yummy. 

I have been congratulating myself on finding Intelligblends which sells recyclable coffee pods that I can use in my Keurig. They are wicked cheap -- $0.39/pod. This time, the shipment I picked up yesterday is a mix of many different flavors so it's a surprise when I grab one. The first one was "Espresso from the Coast." (It's got to be the left coast because it shipped from San Diego.) I added my usual cream but decided to add two drops of liquid Stevia. It was like a party in my mouth! (I don't usually put any sweetener in my coffee.) It complimented my ham, cheese, and mushroom omelette nicely.
******************************************************

So it's Sunday now. I have matched some socks. Yeah, I know, thrilling. But I'm creating pairs before I give the rest of the huge bag of mismatched socks to Goodwill. I don't know if they will match them or if they will use them for rags ... but they will be out of my room! 

I have done two loads of laundry. That might be my limit. (Only towels are left and I have plenty more clean towels.) The sacroiliac is better but I don't want to push it. That's why I've cooked what I have available, thinking maybe I can skip shopping and cooking. We'll see.
Roast Curry Cauliflower, Bacon and Cheese Quiche, Jalapeno Poppers


Well, that was easy. I'm going to rummage around in the freezer and see what else I have. I am so happy, btw, that Emily bought me plastic gloves for cooking. They really are necessary when handling jalapenos!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I thought I was going to see "Loving Vincent" at the Amherst Cinema at 4:40 p.m. Nope. It was sold out. So I went to Aldis instead. I'll just pop the ribs into the oven and get out my frustrations smashing pork rinds for the chicken nuggets I'm going to make. Darn. There will be enough time before 60 Minutes to shred bank statements for the recycling tomorrow. 

I was listening to NPR in the car. That's unusual for me but the pop station I usually listen to was fundraising for the Shriners Hospital last week. I think they are a wonderful organization and do fabulous things for children and families. I just can't handle the stories about little girls born without arms and kids with cancer, and kids who have been burned ... 

Anyway, I was thinking I really like the literary way they do news stories. It's like reading a novel about real people. One story was about a man in China who stops as many people as he can from committing suicide off a bridge. I didn't hear the name of the bridge, but apparently hundreds of people go there to commit suicide. So the free lance reporter told of his struggle to talk with the 'savior' through an interpreter. 

Finally, after interviewing the man, the reporter decided to walk on the bridge with his interpreter. You guessed it -- he stopped a man from going over the side. The odd thing was, when the NPR news caster asked him if he felt happy at that moment, he said, 'No, I felt nauseous.' I guess he was in shock. After some waiting, the 'savior' putt putted up on his motor scooter and talked to the potential suicide. He took his name and then said, 'I want to punch you in the face. I want to do that right now.' He continued by berating the man as a Chinese citizen who wanted to bring shame onto the country with his suicide. The man explained that he was desperate and could not support his father (making him a bad son) after the father lost all of his papers in a fire. I don't know what happened after that, but it seemed so sad that there are so many people at the end of their ropes.

The next story was more horrifying in that it talked of the potential for the new Austrian leader to join parties. The other party is made up of former (and I'm guessing current closeted) Nazis. What is this world coming to? Every time I see these misguided skin heads in the US I want to show them Holocaust pictures and yell at them, "Those bodies could be your mother, your sister, or your wife!" 

I'm going back to oohing and ahing over pictures of kitties and puppies. Kitties and puppies. Maybe with a drinky poo and some jalapeno poppers. Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.