Wednesday, March 16, 2016

I Went to Church Tonight

No, I'm not a religious fanatic. Picture this: arroz con pollo that I don't have to cook, good company (Phyllis plus a bunch of others), and a program -- with slides -- about Ecuador. It sounded like a nice relaxing evening.

But God laughs and we become confounded. The cooks had called in sick. The new cooking crew couldn't get the chicken and rice cooked. (It had to do with the stove not cooking very well and they had been told how to wrap the pans for cooking and one old time gent vetoed it ... well, you get the idea.) So there were 40 or so people chomping at the bit -- most of them in their 80s if not 90s. Finally, I said to one of the women, 'We ought to at least put the salad out. These people are used to eating at 4:59 p.m.!' They did manage to get all of the food out by 6 p.m.

Thank heavens, there was salad. On my low carb, high fat diet, I can't eat rice and sugar. The salad, however, was booby trapped with craisins (cranberries sprayed with sugar) and mandarin oranges which are full of natural sugar. The chicken was delicious and I left the sugar parts of the salad.

But dessert was out of the question: pineapple upside down cake with (unsweetened) home made whipped cream.  So I meandered into the kitchen to help with clean up. Wow, am I tired! There is a commercial dishwasher, but you have to wash the silverware twice. And put away the plates (dinner and dessert). The glasses go into a different case from the glass coffee mugs. Luckily, Gena was the captain of the dishwasher and she was sliding tray after tray through and I would put the dishes away. I finally had to quit, though, because my back started hurting.

But ... I got to take leftover whipped cream home! And I am having the tastiest, luxurious drink ever! I made decaf coffee, added a couple of spoons of unsweetened cocoa, about 3 drops of liquid stevia, and bunches of the whipped cream. Yum!! 

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Last weekend, I went to hear a program in Special Collections about David Grayson. His real name was Ray Stannard Baker and his pen name was kept secret for ten years. His David Grayson writings about being a rural farmer/philosophe became so popular that clubs devoted to David Grayson popped up all over the country. As Baker, he was a hard hitting journalist for Colliers magazine out of NYC. He didn't want people to confuse fact with fiction, so he used the pen name.

The program was excellent with Nick Grabbe (a former reporter) giving us the background and some of the comments about his work in the 1930s. Then we saw a "What's My Line" with 3 people, two of whom were imposters. We were supposed to figure out who was the real David Grayson. Apparently, at the time, there were real imposters and one guy convinced a woman to marry him -- all the while he was pretending to be David Grayson!

Cyndi Harbeson, Curator, introduces Nick Grabbe, Narrator

Talk about well attended: some people had to stand because there were 67 people in the research room of Special Collections! I doubt that they had ever had that many people there at one time for any program.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Yes, a dozen eggs was still $1.55 at Aldis last Saturday. There, in order to get a shopping cart, you put a quarter in a slot and it becomes unlocked. When you return the cart and click in the chain, your quarter pops out. Clever, huh? It keeps their parking lot free of carts that blow into your car. Oh, and you have to bring your own bags but they provide a nice shelf to rest your bags while you load them inside. 
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Another petty annoyance. It's bad enough that I get automated calls trying to sell me something but when it leaves a message on my phone, it starts in the middle of the message. I don't even know what I'm angrily deleting!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Today was nice and warm and sunny. This is after a couple of dank, cold rainy days. My purple crocus has bloomed and the daffodils are very happy with fat buds. I think they liked the rain because they were thirsty. 

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Last night, two separate TV shows ended with old guys -- as in 60s with white hair -- getting married. Yup, they married younger women. They were super younger, but they weren't in their 60s. I think I'm going to start lying about my age. Although ... both of the guys had been married multiple times. That's how I know it's fiction. Why would you want to marry someone and be wife number 4?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

This coming weekend both the Smith College and the Mt. Holyoke spring flower bulb shows end. I think I'm going to try to go to the Smith College one which has the theme of "The Evil Garden" by Edward Gorey.  He's the illustrator that made the long thin damsel in distress (animated) before the beginning of Masterpiece Mystery! Theatre on public television. Some of my friends said they didn't like it as much as last year's Monet themed show. We shall see. 

And Saturday night it's the Amherst Club cabaret. I can't wait to go!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.