Sunday, December 21, 2014

Farmers' Glass Holy Holiday, Batman!

O.k., I was going to cheat and pretend that what comes next is all from this weekend.  It isn't.  I just can't cheat.

Right now (at 9:15 a.m.), the kitchen is redolent of elephant garlic roasting in the oven.  It's being kept company by sweet potatoes, chicken in crumbs, and red and green peppers.  There's a load of clothes washing themselves and I'm contemplating coffee.  Coffee! That's what I need!

I have finished dusting the living room -- who knew there were so many freakin' surfaces to dust??  One of the joys of living alone is that I don't care if there is a nice layer of dust.  It's only when people are coming over -- and they might kick it up -- that I have to dust.

Which is why yesterday was devoted to washing every single piece of glass in the living room.  I decided to be organized and use a baking pan as a tray to ferry the pieces to the sink.



The crystal really wasn't THAT dusty, but for some reason, this is how it photographed on a cloudy day.



When they were clean, I decided to put these guys back together on a shelf.  You know, Christmasy.  :) 


Yes, that is tequila on the counter.  Cats get liver treats, I get tequila.




Well, of course, I couldn't stop at the glass.  This year I decided to add the belleek (I just had to look up the spelling).  Mom gave me these pieces and I really love them but they were hard to see where they were.  And they added some green.  The rest of the red is packed away from one of my rearranging sorties at another time.  It was too much.

I just put back the mini Lenox figurines (had to dust the wood first) and they are very cute.  That reminds me to wash the "good" dishes.

So last weekend, Ann and I went to the Farmers' Market which is held in the Middle School's cafeteria.  It was fun to see a lot of people that I know, including a former physician of mine.  (She moved on to another practice.)  Need I say more? (Ann made fun of me for taking pictures of veggies.  I do love me a good still life!)








This was really good bread (above) -- I bought some.






No, it's not only Canada who produces maple syrup!










So then on Sunday, Ann had a kit for chocolate/mint snowflakes.  It even comes with fancy bags and ties so you can give them as gifts.



See? What could go wrong?


Fail

But wait! There's more!



See how there's a beer can and Pepsi cans above the failed snowflakes?  We were supposed to make beer can reindeer and Ann cut the can open and everything.  Too late, we realized that the pattern in the book is too small and needs to be enlarged.  That is our project for today.  I've got enlarged patterns and as soon as I stow the food and maybe vacuum, I'm going over to her house.

I'm thinking we'll stick with the soda and seltzer cans.  Last week I said to Ann, who's gonna drink all of the beer?  She said she was sure somebody could take the hit.  I can just see me bringing in a six pack to work and saying, 'Excuse me, but would you drink these at home and bring back the cans?'  Actually, they might think that was normal coming from me.  You're supposed to use Bud (red and white) beer cans.  My friends who drink beer are snobs and don't touch that stuff.  Sigh.

I'll let you know how things go!

I forgot: John Grillo died and Mom wanted to see his mural which is hanging in the Library.  I took some quick shots.  He was born in Lawrence, MA 90 years ago.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.