Monday, June 3, 2013

Rain, Rain, It's O.k.

So it's Monday (June 3? Who knows when you're not working?) and it's raining like crazy. It has eased up a bit since the deluge at 5:30 a.m.  The farmers need it.  Heck, my new guinea impatiens need it.

I get bored when I'm up and everyone else is sleeping.  I did manage to wake Lola, who has come out of hiding.






Then I washed a bucket load of dishes.  I had forgotten how many dishes three people can make.  Last night's dinner put me back in the BF's good graces.  I made pork chops, stuffing, fresh green beans, and broccoli.  I had been watching "Chopped" on TV where they give them weird things to cook, so I was inspired.  The stuffing was made from tiny potatoes (chopped!), whole grain bread, orange juice ... well, you get the idea.  I liked it a lot.  The BF did too.  Emily -- not so much.

That dinner was preceded by my weed whacking Emily's grass.  I know, I know, it's only about a 10 foot by 5 foot triangle (picture it, you can do it).  However, when the grass is 8 to 10 inches tall, it takes a bit of doing.  Then a bit of trimming around the door.  Did I tell you Emily lives in a jungle?  Actually, her house is flanked by bamboo -- but it's only invasive, not usable.  I got excited thinking I could make trellises for my garden, but this bamboo is limpish.

After watching some of the Today show I was hungry.  Pictured below are corn-strawberry muffins.  They are great when hot with a little faux butter!  I mashed up the strawberries and put some batter in the muffin cup, then strawberries, then batter ... very simple, very easy (as Chef Tell used to say).  No, I did not eat  half a pan -- these are double sized muffin tins.  I had never seen such a thing, but Emily had one with the wrapper still on.. 



As you can probably tell from a previous post, I'm not used to dealing with a guy around all of the time.  He wants what's best for Emily, but ... anyway, I felt the need to go to church.  The Hadwen Park Congregational Church's web site sucked me in.  They proclaimed themselves "open and affirming" so I figured they would welcome me.  And they did.





This is the back of the church (below) and behind me is where I parked on the street.  It's in a regular neighborhood.  In fact, I saw a woman walking home from church.  It was not air conditioned, but the fans were great and it wasn't bad even though the temp. was in the high 80's.  When I walked in, the greeters at the door were startled and pleased when I said, "I bring you greetings from the South Congregational Church in Amherst, Massachusetts!"






Of course, I couldn't help but notice my favorite blue iris on the side of the church.





And here's the inside which was bright and cheery and airy.





The youth group is raising funds to go to Elmira, NY to do "Elderly Home Repair."  I wonder how 'the Elderly' feel about THAT appellation, lol.





All in all, I found it to be an uplifting, calming experience even though it was totally different from my church.  Their pastor wore a brightly colored sun dress (no vestments) and I had done communion by intincture before.  (That's when you walk up and get it rather than having it brought to you.)  But I had not dipped the bread in wine (I think it was grape juice which is fine with me) in the chalice at a Congregational church before.

I had praised the web site (and had gotten to tell the web master how impressed I was) so when Pastor Judy introduced me as a visitor, she added my comments.  It was a bit embarassing, but I lived.


1 comment:

  1. Lovely story Tina I enjoyed it. You tell your stories well. You should write your own books you would do well I know it.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.