Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Best Laid Plans ...



 Having completed this star, it occurred to me that my all red and white future quilt has one sticking point. What if the red dye runs? Not wanting to lose the use of this star, I set out to pre-wash the star and the other 90 pre-cut red and white squares. I also had one 2 yard length of all red fabric.

I bought a delicate fabric bag and some color catchers and a drying rack. After carefully loading the pre-cut squares (five inch squares, a few four inch squares) into the bag, I put it all into the washer with a few clothing items. 

Unfortunately, someone must have left the zipper open on the delicates bag. I had to fish the 8 million squares out of the washer. And since they were not only wet, but also crumpled, I decided to iron them dry. I did put the length of fabric into the dryer to get benefit of the fabric softener.

While everything was in the washer, I assembled a new drying rack that leans up against the wall (taking up less space). It didn't occur to me that it needed assembly. Duh. Anyway, I thought, how hard can this be? It wasn't hard, just a tad annoying.


Masks drying; soon to be joined by hand washed fat quarters of fabric.

Finally, having finished the ironing, I get the fabric out of the dryer. It is covered in white threads from the fraying of the squares in the washer. It took me about 15 minutes to pick off the threads. Cathy V. and I used to joke that, 'If you want to find a quilter in a room, look for the one with threads all over her clothing.' At this point, with no piecing nor any quilting done, my stomach alarm went off.


Mom and I had a lovely jaunt to the Windmill Market & Cafe north of Palm Springs (near the windmill farm). The following flowers are taken in their lovely patio which has two fountains bubbling and two cats wandering around.


















The other cat is a short hair orange one unlike this floofy cat.











We have finished season one of Your Honor on Showtime. It's with Bryan Cranston. It's about a judge in Louisiana whose son has some trouble and the judge does everything he can to protect his son, Cranston is a great actor.

Today, we started a new series called City on a Hill (also on Showtime) with Kevin Bacon. It's set in Boston in the early 90s. Some incidents are based on real events and Bacon plays a fast and loose FBI agent. There is a lot of racial prejudice and shady cops -- and it seems to be a fairly accurate picture of the times. The Boston accents are pretty good too.



Tomorrow (Sunday) Mom and I are going to brunch. I can't wait!

Have a great Sunday and an even better week. Cheers!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.