Monday, November 30, 2020

Distractions

 Tomorrow I will leave at 5 a.m. to go to the airport on my journey to Palm Springs. Yes, I'm taking every precaution possible and I will self quarantine upon my arrival. I have to thank Elaine and Lorne for so generously loaning me their house in PS for my quarantine. I have the dancing boys scheduled for 2 p.m. the next day!


Since I get weirded out by this travel bit every year, I have decided to distract myself this year to keep the nerves down to a dull roar. And this is my big distraction. 


Yesterday, I decided to put away the scraps and fabric from my last projects. At this point, that means putting the fabric in a large toter by color. Those suckers are heavy to move around! (Yep, back is sore today.) But of course, I continued tidying up my cutting table (aka card table) ... So now it doesn't look like a bomb went off in my sewing room but it does look like a fabricholic needs to make 80 zillion more quilts to deplete the stash.


I found quite a few UFOs. As any quilter knows, those are UnFinished  Objects. And in various places, I found random blocks. I'm sorry that's all of the pictures for today. Unless I find something interesting.


These are from years ago in "vintage" fabric. It was a way for a fabric shop to sell fabric. I 

dropped out after a couple of blocks (it was one a month) because I didn't really like the colors and I lost interest.







You might recognize the goof above.


Yes, I know that's embroidery on the right. I did it so long ago that I don't even remember doing it.




The mostly purple one has potential.



The bottom purple one needs serious trimming! I do believe I did not think this was good enough to include in Sherylann's all purple quilt. I'll bet I could cut it differently and salvage it.



This poor little misfit will not be used in the lap quilt that only needs binding. I might cut the binding today ...




This was my attempt at a log cabin block. After I made two, I thought, "I couldn't stand a whole quilt of these!" So I stopped. 




Many years ago, I went to Arizona (before I had even been to California) and I was so amazed at how different their mountains looked from anything I had seen. This piece, which needs serious ironing, is about 2.5 feet wide. It's made  from slacks and a shirt. 

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I've got the second and last load of laundry in. I've filled a bag with non-eaten food from the fridge for Phyllis. Of course, since she was supposed to pick it up soon, it has been raining like crazy. 

I have packed a goody bag of snacks for the trip. Let's hope I don't forget it like last year, lol. The fridge is clean. 

I'm all packed -- sort of. The big suitcase is totally packed. But I have to rearrange my purse and the carry on bag. Sigh. I keep rethinking -- will I have a need for dressy clothing? We can't go anywhere. Then I think, 'Well, I'll just dress up for the heck of it.'

As much as I love the tech stuff (computer, phone, Kindle), there's a lot of gear such as cords, ear plugs, and chargers to stow somehow.
And this 'puter will be the last packed.

I have made a radical decision: I'm not bringing any lipstick or makeup. I don't wear it in Massachusetts, but I always wear it in CA. But my stuff is so old, I can still hear Lisa admonishing me to throw out makeup once a year. Ha! These lipsticks have been to California at least 3 times. 

And this is also what I'm leaving:



That's at 3:30 p.m. Am looking forward to some sun!

It has dawned on me that since last May when I got back to Amherst, I have only had one shot of Jameson's on election night. I'm going to have to work up to the imbibing of the Mexican Train Dominos Gang! But I have always said that I would rather eat my calories than drink them. 

Cheers! Be well. Don't forget that the phone works in California and I'd love to hear from you. (Just not at 6 a.m.) I'm off ...











1 comment:

Once approved, your comment will appear.