Sunday, April 30, 2017

Sashay Saturday and Slide into Sunday

It has been an all pajama day! The most strenuous thing I have done is make lemon pound cake with a lemon glaze (low carbohydrate recipe). And it feels great. 




I probably should be out digging weeds, but I did that during the week before work and today is the first day I don't hurt everywhere. I'll try to do some tomorrow. Everything is growing like crazy because we have had a warm patch (above 80 degrees F.). The grass is so green that it reminds me of the time years ago when Emily said, "That grass is so green, it looks good enough to eat!"  Sorry if I have repeated myself there, but that line has always tickled me.
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I am grateful for small things today. Unwittingly, I used a medium mug and pushed "large" on my Keurig. The coffee was one drop away from spilling but didn't. Phew! I have tried Intelliblends because they seem cheaper. The name of the blend I drink is "Maud's Tall Dark and Handsome," lol.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^



I couldn't resist taking this picture of the Library as I went to lunch on Friday. I'm always happy to see the flowers on the trees even if the pollen makes me seem as if I have a heavy cold. Seasonal allergies are an annoyance, but nothing compared to real illnesses. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Below is what the hot weather snap did to the tulips:

A woman at work confessed that she loves eating dandelion greens so I asked her if I should dig some up for her. (I noticed that I have quite a crop on the front lawn.) Now, I already knew that it's the leaf and not the root that people eat but I figured if I was going to harvest leaves, I might as well dig the whole thing up. She declined after informing me that she didn't want the roots. Since I don't even like arrugula, I'm not tempted to try dandelion greens. Heck, I don't even eat kale unless it's surrounded by sausage! 

A lot of people here have farm shares. And what's the first thing that comes in after lettuce? Kale, and it produces and produces all summer. If you leave your car unlocked, you may come back and find it filled with kale.  (A little later in the season, they add zucchini. I wonder if giving away vegetables is a punishable offense?)

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

I also made jalapeno poppers the other day. The pepper halves were stuffed with cheese and bacon bits. No picture -- I ate them too fast! I was very proud of me for remembering to wear food gloves while I seeded and deveined the jalapenos.I really would hate to get pepper in my eyes. I just tried to add a tilda in the proper place over the "n" and it didn't work. It put the tilda to the side as if it were a letter. What good is that?

I'm also noticing that many of the letters have worn off the keyboard on my 'puter. It doesn't bother me which is a good thing because this is not a separate keyboard -- it's all in one on the laptop. I don't want to say this computer is old, but some of the warranty expired in 2013.

Also expired: my Justice of the Peace license. That's o.k., I wasn't doing any weddings. (Good thing: there could have been a lot of little bastards running around if I had.) It got to be a bit more time consuming than I wanted. I went rummaging in my j.p. bag to find the stamp which had the expiration date on in and found an uncashed check -- from two years ago. I wonder if they are still married ... 

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Sunday

Nothing exciting here today except for the thunderstorm and it has gone from 83 F. to 52 F. The rain is a bit chilly.

I decided to get gas for the car even though I still had 3 bars before empty on the gauge. After all, it had been three weeks since I gassed up. I love the hybrid!

After that, I figured I might as well get a few groceries ... two stores later, I had three bags full (baaa, baaa, black sheep). Of course, then it would be crazy to not cook something for the week. 

I did not cook a lot, but I did make crack slaw which is hamburger and cabbage sauteed. I decided to add some asian chili paste because I had to give away the siracha I had bought last week due to the inclusion of sugar. [Note to self: when testing hotness, take a smaller taste of asian chili paste straight from the jar.]

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

I got a new book for my Kindle called Alternative Truths. Here's the blurb from Amazon: Alternative Truths is a look at the post-election America that is, or will be, or could be. We attach no manacles to the word truth to bind it to our visions. Instead we free it to find its own way through the minds of the two dozen writers who have shared their vision of the future in either sensitively written allegorical tales such as Relics by Louise Marley, a woman who grew up bucking hay in Montana and moved on to a talented musical performer and successful novelist; or the raw humor of Adam Troy-Castro in his Q & A, which takes on the verbal veracity of Donald J. Trump. This collection includes a thoughtful foreword by Rick Dunham other work by some of fandom's best loved writers.

I got it because Jim Wright has an essay in it, but I really like the others that I have read so far too. I'm becoming a big fan of Adam Troy-Castro. This is the first time in a long time that I'm actually reading a book (versus watching Netflix).

Speaking of Netflix, I finished Rosewood. I've moved on to Awake, which is about a police detective who was in a car accident with his wife and teenage son. After he recovers, he begins to live two realities: in one, his son has died and the wife lives. In the other reality, his wife has died and the son lives. When he goes to sleep, it's the other life upon waking. He even has a different psychiatrist (one man and one woman) in each reality. One of the psychiatrists is the Asian man who played a shrink on Law and Order. Obviously, I cannot remember the actor's name. Let me Google that. It's BD Wong. I've always liked his work. It's very intriguing and well written.


Have a wonderful week. Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Love the Tulips. Today is Tuesday 2nd May. I usually go to the Craft Centre Tuesdays but no one else will be there today so I'm staying home vegeing out LOL Have a nice week too.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.