Saturday, July 20, 2013

For One Fleeting Moment

July 20, 2013

The other day I was in the supermarket and the woman in front of me at the check out counter was asking if anyone knew where she could find a pay phone.  Of course, there are none in that little strip mall, so I loaned her my cell phone.  I had to dial it for her since she doesn't know how they work and I handed her the phone. For one fleeting moment, I thought, "What if she runs off with my phone?"  It actually conjured up a silly picture of me in my mind -- halfway through my grocery order and not being able to run.  But it was an unnecessary thought.  She handed the phone back and thanked me politely.

***************************************************************'
I made chili today with actual beef as opposed to chicken.  Boy, did it taste good.  I figured that 90 percent lean can't be too bad for me.  My friend, Ann, always says, 'How do they know it's 90% lean?'  Perhaps they add fat to the other ground beef and they know how much they added?  How do I know? Do I care? Not really.

We have a new taste sensation! I was at Trader Joe's (sorry, Maria, one day you will have one too) and I bought some "Curry Simmer Sauce" on a whim.  Wow! It's great! In our ignorance, we used some on a pork sandwich last night and it was yummy with quite a kick.  Today, in the light of day and lacking the vodka/o.j. drink, I read the label where it told me to dilute the sauce with one cup of water.  Okaaay ... then you cube chicken and saute it for about 15 minutes.  Of course I added fresh onion, mushrooms, and those tiny potatoes, sliced.  It was yummy!

*****************************************************************
Last night was Girls' Night and Cathy and I went to Lisa's house.  Since Lisa not only has a pool but also central air conditioning, I declared that I would be moving in.  I don't know how her husband would feel about that, but since he only said hi and disappeared, I think we could coexist.  I wonder if he likes chili ...

******************************************************************
Today we have ended a 7 day heat wave (of days 90 F. or above).  The last time we had a heat wave like this was in 2002 and it was for 11 days.  I don't remember it, but that's o.k.   I wonder how they know they have a heat wave in the desert.  Does it have to go above 130 F?  Mom says it's hotter now because they have some humidity.  I didn't ask how much because it is so humid here that the flora is taking on jungle-like proportions.  I swear I heard one of those jungle type birds the other day.  Maybe some wise aleck kid taught the call to a mockingbird.

*******************************************************************
That reminds me of eons ago when I was 13 and walking home on Grubb Street in Maryland.  (We lived there for a short time.)  I was kind of cute at age 13 ... anyway, I heard a wolf whistle and looked around.  There was nobody in sight.  I heard it again.  Nobody in sight.  It finally dawned on me: it was a mockingbird!  I don't know how long it took some boy to teach that to a bird, but it must have been fun.

********************************************************************

Another thing to not put on a job application.  Reason for leaving: It was tiring.

Well, ya.  That's why they call it work.  You work and then you get tired.  Did this person think working in a children's room in a busy library wouldn't make you tired?

*********************************************************************
Having become thoroughly addicted to Farmville 2 on FaceBook, I almost don't have time for work.  There sure are a lot of chores on a farm! After I feed the cows, they do a happy dance.  The other animals do too, but it's much more impressive to see a cow dance!
*********************************************************************


No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.