Saturday, November 25, 2017

We Had a Wonderful Thanksgiving

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving -- we did! The day began with Deb, Paul, and Emily walking the 5 K Turkey Trot in Palm Springs.

 Needless to say, Emily was very glad for her medal and number. The number sign has a computer chip embedded in it which records their beginning and end times. I'm not sure what other information it recorded, but that was enough for me.

Mom set the table using the table runner from Singapore that Brian had brought back from one of his cruises.



Our guests, Brian and Elaine (below) arrived promptly at 2:30 p.m. laden with desserts.



 Deb asked each diner if they would like a freshly baked roll.

 Paul had cooked an amazingly delicious prime rib the night before at their rental unit. It was the best I have ever had (and I've eaten a lot of prime rib in my time!). 

Meanwhile, out in the kitchen, Mom had put a clean dish towel out for my use. Notice the name on the bottle?


And this is my favorite picture of Mom, Emily, and Deb.

The food was good, if I say so myself, but I was the only one who liked the gravy made with almond flour. Next time I'll try arrowroot or cream of tartar. Paul made some 'regular' gravy with wheat flour to go on his turkey. I made loaded mashed cauliflower with bacon bits so I don't think anyone was too sad that there were no potatoes. At least they didn't say anything.

***************************************************
It's Saturday, I think ... yesterday is a blur. Mom and I finished watching Longmire on Netflix last night. I am very sad except that I have one of Craig Johnson's Longmire books (autographed too!) to read. First I have to finish my Kate Flora book.

I have been very lazy today and just got dressed in the afternoon. I did, however, make a quiche and LOTS of meatballs and cooked some bacon.

Mom has introduced me to some of her favorite computer games which include ma jhong and three different types of solitaire. I am abysmal at adding, particularly 13 and you have to do that for one of the solitaires. I ended up with the refrain, "'This will be fun!!' she said." Mom and I laughed a lot. She observed that it was a good thing that I had an adding machine at work. ("And a computer!" I exclaimed.)

It's in the 80s but less humid than it was on Thanksgiving and yesterday. It really is very pleasant. Of course, I am not sitting in the sun, but we do not need to put the a.c. on.

I am wearing my "Amherst, Mass.: where reality is optional" tee shirt. I'm not sure Mom would approve but if we go anywhere I'll change. I have to change my shorts for slacks anyway. I'm trying my best to act my age, but it isn't easy. 

We might be going to the Pow Wow next week. We are definitely going to see 'Kramer vs. Kramer' at the Rancho Mirage Library. We'll have to get there early to get a seat -- that's the one with little bags of popcorn and bottled water. It's all free. Around the corner from that room there is the internet cafe with a food counter run by the Aspen Bakery. I didn't know that they serve sandwiches as well as the bakery products.  Mom said she saw an older man spill his coffee on his (huge) sandwich and the counter person gave him a free half sandwich to replace it. Wow.





 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Tina lovely looking family you have there. Good to see you had fun. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.