Sunday, May 19, 2013

Williamsburg, VA May 11, 2013

Vacation -- wahoo!  I had booked a civilized hour out of Hartford in the afternoon.  Little did I know that the weather was a brewing and we sat for two extra hours before takeoff.  We landed in Philly and had to wait about 20 minutes on the runway before take off.

Arriving in Newport News, VA, I upgraded my rental car to a Volvo -- which had Mass. license plates. I didn't notice, but Maria and Jack did.

They very nicely shared their timeshare at the Wyndham Kings' Gate.

This was my bedroom.

I was more than thrilled with the rooms which included a washer-dryer and all of the kitchen amenities including a blender.  I couldn't decide which TV to watch: living room or bedroom.  Connecting doors led to Maria, Jack, and Kiley's digs.  Theirs was a full kitchen with a table that could seat 8 people easily. They had two bedrooms, washer-dryer, jacuzzi, etc.

We were very comfortable and had fun cooking.

The first day we went to historic Williamsburg and went everywhere you could without a paying ticket.  Amy was our guide (she's a docent there) and we walked about a mile and a half, utilizing the nicely spaced benches.

Amy helps to take care of these chickens, giving them clover through the netting. The netting is to keep hawks out.  They are a breed called Dominique.  Some have half dollar sized bare spots on their back. When I asked if they were molting, Amy said, 'The pecking order.'  I had no idea they actually pecked themselves into line!

So I'm thinking of asking my landscaper to build me one of these.  Ha! I'm lucky if he cuts the lawn.

When we bought a ticket, Kiley got right into the spirit of things at the Visitor's Center at Historic Williamsburg.

I was fascinated with the many gardens.  Be prepared for lots of garden pictures!

Needless to say, they use chicken manure. (These plants are huge!)

Gate keeper.



Weird band of tourists.

Very neat rows!

Having a good time!
Hello, Horsey!

I had to glue the kid's sneakers to the walk to get her into a picture, but I did it.

The flowers were not only huge, but they are at least 2 to 3 weeks ahead of us.

I would not have wanted to sit in the sun in all those layers of clothes. At least she has a good hat.


This is the Governor's Palace
We heard Patrick Henry in the back yard here.  Later we went to a theatre to hear Thomas Jefferson speak.

Well, I'm about pooped now, so I'll leave this as done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.