Saturday, May 11, 2013

Bicycle Pants Man


2-4-11

 Boy, am I tired.  I worked all day, went out to eat with my "Potluck Ladies," then home, then to the homeless shelter (on the other side of Town from where I live).
>
> I brought all of the makings, except for the bread, for bread pudding.  Actually, it was to be rice pudding, but someone ate the frozen rice!!  It was left over so we had frozen it.  But in the food pantry at the Baptist Church (who host the shelter), they have many loaves of "artisan bread."  It's the good stuff, round loaves.  The homeless won't eat it ... so I broke it up, added stuff, including strawberry jam and !voila! bread pudding.  The workers loved it, the homeless ... didn't want to try it.  Odd, huh?
>
> Kyle was there helping out his father, Frank.  Frank is an employee, basically in charge when he's there.  Kyle graduated high school last summer and has been laid off from his Costco bakery job.  There's one particularly charming man who always addresses me by name (which is a bit disconcerting), and tries to inveigle more food.  According to Dorothy, he is a glutton.  (Apparently, some nights he eats so much, he vomits ...)  Anyway, Kyle said he doesn't like to be in the bathroom when this guy is in there.  "Why?" I asked.  "He's a sex offender," Kyle answered matter of factly.  Oh - kaaaaay ... I didn't dare ask which sex ...
>
> A nice young police officer stopped by to say hi.  I didn't want to be rude and look for his name badge, so I don't know his name.  He had been there before -- he has a great smile and a decent rapport with the homeless.  Most of them are regulars.
>
> Meanwhile, there was a new volunteer there.  He was weird, poking into everything in the food pantry.  It turns out, he's determined to provide a hot breakfast for the homeless guests.  Frank tried to tell him that they get up at 7 a.m. and have to be out by 7:30 a.m. (Joe had already told me last weekend that most don't eat breakfast because they had detoxed overnight and needed to get out and get a fix of alcohol or whatever ...) But the really weird thing is: This guy was wearing spandex bicycle pants.  It was gross.  I'm sure if I had wanted to look -- I would have been able to tell if he has been circumcised. (It took me two tries to spell "circumcised" correctly. When was the last time you used that word?)  I told Frank he had to tell him to wear clothing next time.  Frank said he didn't think he should have to tell anybody that.  I was grossed out.  He has a terrible body!  (Skinny.)  I was good though.  I didn't make any comments on the cold weather (the temp is going down and is currently 0.4 F.).
>
> Well, that's about it for now.  Except: Wow, is Shepherd's Pie great when (1) someone else makes it, and, (2) you haven't had it in a long time! (I only tasted it, I didn't take food out of anyone's mouth!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.