Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Lent 2013



Lent 2013

So for many of us, this is a time for reflection, hopefully leading to a more spiritual life.  I admit that I have long ago given up giving up earthly treats for Lent, but I do try to be a bit more charitable and Christian.  Heck, I even went to church today.  Yes, I know, it’s about time.
Others, however, celebrate in a different way.  In Town yesterday, the “Blarney Bash” went on and it’s an excuse for (mainly) college age kids to start drinking in the a.m. and continue for hours.  It used to be called “Kegs and Eggs” but some people objected to that so the name was changed.  (That’s kind of like the old joke: Did you hear? Sam Lipshitts changed his name!  Yeah, now he’s David Lipshitts.) Some Irish Americans still object to the whole thing because a true celebration of St. Patrick’s Day (March 17th) would really involve church and family and a celebration of Irish heritage.  Anyway, if you use the link below, you will see the disgraceful piles of trash and herd behavior that went on:

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

As many of you know, I am addicted to TV and I have been watching that guy on the Travel Channel who eats weird food.  I cannot describe it any other way.  Usually, it’s some part of an animal that has escaped becoming a delicacy because the “true” method of preparation is close to raw or raw.  Don’t get me wrong: I have nothing against raw.  Some of my best munches have been raw carrots (although I do prefer them in carrot cake).  I love sushi (as long as I know the fish is FRESH).  

However, I draw the line at a Vietnamese treat of spiced duck blood (drink it before it congeals).  Auuugh.  Then on another show I see the same thing again prepared in the French manner which was to lightly sauté the duck’s blood (so it would stay together, I think).  I guess all of this stems from ‘waste not, want not’ on the farm when it was so hard to feed people that you used every bit of protein that you could get.

But … why not cook it?  And if so many cultures are (essentially) drinking blood, why are we revolted by vampires?  Yeah, I know that’s human blood, but when vampires are trying to be good, they just drink from little animals like rabbits and moles.  (I’m guessing they drain the critters fully because I haven’t seen any reports of vampire rabbits.)
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.