Sunday, April 11, 2021

Home Again, Home Again

 

April 8

Jiggety jog! Yes, April 7 was the day I came home to Amherst, Massachusetts. We are supposed to get into the 70s today (April 9) but getting back to the 50s next week. It's New England -- we never really know what to expect.

I did not expect to be greeted by so many happy daffodils. Arriving at night, after 11 p.m., I didn't take time to look. The next morning, I was delighted to see them.



Before I forget, I took this picture of the tall roses near Mom's house in Palm Springs. They get taller every year. I think they are about 10 feet tall.








April 9


Nancy and I decided to take a walk on the bike trail. We began behind her condo in Amherst and walked to Hadley (about 2.5 miles). Here are a couple of views.









I couldn't resist: I had to get some pansies. See them on the porch? At least the paler daffs in front hide the ugly stump. I have to work on that.


April 12

Today Nancy and I decided to walk at the other end of the Norwottuck Bike Trail. We entered in South Amherst. Nancy calls it "fancy" and I guess it is because not only is there a parking lot, but also there are signs with history and a port a potty. (Nothing like that at our usual route.)


The beavers have created a huge haven for themselves. I would say the pond is about 2.5 acres parallel to the bike trail, which is paved. The width is maybe a half acre in spots, smaller in other areas. There were at least five beaver hutches. One looked to be four or five feet tall; the others were smaller. We didn't see any beavers -- I thought there must be many of them but maybe it was siesta time.

The Town had to put wire cages around pipes which drain the water under the bike trail to the other side. Before that, the water was rising so high due to the beavers' dams, that it was almost flooding out the bike trail. The water is now a couple of feet below the trail.



One of the smaller beaver condominiums





You can see all of the trees killed by the water. Here's another beaver domicile.




Mr. Canada Goose having a leisurely swim.







Heron








Mrs. Canada Goose napping on her nest.




Goose butt. Mr. Goose went for a snack.


Nothing exciting has been happening. I bought groceries the second day I was here. I haven't done any fancy cooking. I'm trying very hard to lose the extra weight that I gained in Palm Springs. It must have been the wine ... The house still needs washing outside but it's supposed to rain and I don't want to let the solution just wash off and not do any good.

I have been working on a new quilt but it's not far enough along to show you any pictures yet. I have a whole bunch of squares that I made while in Palm Springs that I have to figure out how to arrange them.

I just realized today that I forgot to buy decaf k cups. So I reloaded my reusable k cups with decaf. Although I was a bit perkier with caffeinated coffee, lol!


And that's about it for now. I wish you all good health and a dry mask. (My seasonal allergies are making me dribble into my mask. Yuck! I'm constantly washing masks. Thank goodness, Emily gave me a bunch.)

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow love the flowers Maple. Thanks for sharing. As far as losing weight takes time unfortunately last November I weighed 112 kilos and last week at the doctor's I weighed 106. Was hoping it was more as I am having problems with my knees.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Tina, thank you for the lovely pictures! I haven't been on the bike path in awhile due to left knee problems. It flared again with a new pair of sneakers, so I've had to cool it with so much walking!

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.