Saturday, June 29, 2019

Summertime and the Living Is Blueberry

The temperature hit 93 degrees yesterday, although the TV weatherman kept saying it only got to 89. Whatever, I will believe my car and the bank thermometer!

Today is supposed to be hotter. Which is why I just made a necessity: blueberry ice cream.




This is before I packaged them to freeze. There are 4 servings.



Thank you SO much, Lisa, for the ice cream machine!!

####################################################

The peonies are all gone now, but I did not get the usual profusion of blooms. This year, I am enjoying every single bloom individually.


&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Mom told me I should get my hearing tested because it seems to be going. When she saw the miffed look on my face, she quickly said, 'Just to get a baseline for the future.' I hate to admit that she may be right.

My head snapped up yesterday to the TV ad for Jesus Snacks.  No, it was for Cheezit snacks ... 

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yesterday I had the privilege of meeting Janet who just finished 10th grade. She is Chinese American and is proud that she can speak Mandarin because her parents sent her to the Chinese immersion school here. Janet was volunteering at the Senior Center and had finished her other duties so she decided to help out in the lunch room (where I serve the food).

As she was about to leave, Janet's mother approached me and reminded me of a sweet memory. About 15 years ago, I officiated at her wedding when they were expecting to adopt a baby girl from China. At their wedding, I presented them with a baby quilt with the Chinese character for Welcome home! on the front. It was red (for good luck) and yellow because that's my happy color. They still have the quilt.  :)

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%




Who knew that inexpensive lilies from Home Depot could produce such lovely flowers? I've decided it's time to forget the annuals and get as many perennials as possible.





I just spent a couple of hours chopping and hacking bushes and weeds. Now I can see the yellow flowers in the back although there are still 12 million weeds. 

I didn't have the energy to pick up the tree branches and piles of weeds. That will have to be for tomorrow. Unfortunately, these branches are from "volunteers" who are now trees. I'm going to have to get me a saw. Better yet, a sawyer.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Yesterday (Friday) was Nancy Pagano's last  day as the Senior Center Director. She worked for the Town for 47 years! It was also David Burgess' (Assessor) last day, retiring after many years. And, finally, Margaret was leaving as Town Clerk to become the town administrator for Berlin, Mass. Margaret was in the position for less than a year after Sandra Burgess retired as Town Clerk. I'm just about partied out with all of the retirement parties! There are going to be a lot of new faces in Town government!

))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

For some reason, "red tide" popped into my head. The last one was last spring off Cape Cod. (Although I could not ascertain the date of that statement from the Coastal Waters web site.) It's a bunch of plankton and other itty bitty sea creatures that make shellfish poisonous to humans. Let's hope we're past the red tide season! I'm needing some seafood!

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

And now I'm off to see "Yesterday" at the movies. Woo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.