Thursday, March 15, 2018

Wednesday Night at the Pot Farm -- Almost

A friend had told us that 'the largest marijuana farm in Coachella Valley" was at the corner of Ramon Road and ... Something. Mom thought that was impossible since it was a busy intersection and all built up. Since we were coming back from the movies, we decided to find it. As we were sitting in traffic, I read a billboard which touted Organic Solutions of the Desert.

I'm thinking, 'Everything around here is organic, I wonder what they mean. Solutions for what?' Then it dawned on me that they were talking about cannabis. No, there were no pictures of cute green leaves, no joints with thick smoke wafting above. The biggest clue was "armed guard on premises." It did say "1.5 miles ahead"  so we merrily added that to our odometer (subtracting 0.1 mi. in order to know when to look in earnest).

Nothing. We got to that intersection and there was nothing. We went through the intersection just in case, but there was nothing. (We did find another 99 Cent store and a Payless Shoes which are two good things.)

Again, then I remembered: a dark and closed store front with OSD on the sign. That was them! Just now I Googled Organic Solutions of the Desert and the actual farm is out near the windmills (a ways away) and that place is their dispensary. 

Their web sites are a hoot. (I don't know why there are two.) They only talk about medical marijuana, but since January, it is legal here for recreational use. [That term always cracked me up because the word "recreational" makes me think of 50s families climbing into a woody to go to some Dirty Dancing-type campgrounds. It just doesn't sit well with the idea of stoners sitting around a TV smoking joints.] 

They list their mission statement of compassionate help for patients, bla, bla, bla. But the kicker was, 'You can use your Tommy Chong card here!' The names of the different varieties are also very funny.

Will I go today and buy some? Nope. As you know, I have a problem with food -- I eat too much. And pot makes you very hungry -- so I am told. 

Speaking of marijuana, I had already seen Disjointed on Netflix. It's a situation comedy with Kathy Bates (I love her as an actress!) and she runs a marijuana dispensary. There is a moderately sized cast of characters including a guard (I don't think he's armed). The show also has some poignant moments along with the laughs, so I am hoping there will be more episodes.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The movie we went to see was The Greatest Show on Earth. We were both surprised that it was a musical and that I liked it. (I have heard part of the Hamilton sound track and I didn't care for it all. The same with Les Mis. I don't think I'm cut out for musicals.) 

It was a thoroughly enjoyable movie and very positive. Uplifting even! I highly recommend it.

*******************************************************

It's done and will be on exhibit at the Burnett Gallery in the Jones Library as of April 1. The artists' reception will be April 5 from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. I hope you can all come to the reception! There will be 5 other artists/Library employees showing their works as well.


Yes, it was photographed outside on grass. It looks much better in daylight. I just had to beware the sprinklers, lol!

Speaking of quilts, I have finished a new quilt top in case anyone is interested.


I'm kind of proud of the strip pieced blocks. This little top is the most pattern I have ever done. It's the busiest for me so far.


&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Ever since Mom has figured out how to download e books from the Rancho Mirage Library and Observatory (yes, they have added a huge celesial observatory), she has become a reading machine. Her last book is something by Dave Barry. He has been one of my comedy faves for years.

He recounted a woman who was driving and who was stopped by a Florida trooper. It seems that she was driving to see her boyfriend and she wanted to be ready for the date, so she decided to shave her naughty bits. While she was driving. While her ex husband steered and she worked the gas and brake pedals. (Those of you who know Dave Barry, know that right about here he has written, "I'm not making this up!") He told this tale to point out that even though she was in Florida, she really was from out of state ("a Hoosier) and we shouldn't think all Floridians are crazy. Thanks for another laugh, Dave Barry!

******************************************************


Sometimes even without the colors (I missed them), the sunset is pretty.

2 comments:

  1. Your framed quilt is beautiful!!!

    And this last photo with all the purple hues is wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tina. Happy belated birthday. Thanks for the laughs firstly the marijuana farm and then the woman shaving.The things people do.LOL
    Love your quilts well done.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.