Saturday, February 4, 2017

Small Enjoyments


I really love the polka dot Jamberry wraps! This was a week ago. Today ... who knows?

But first, some friends and I are going to the Brattleboro Museum and Art Center in Vermont. It should be a nice leisurely drive in 26 F. weather with the sun shining brightly on us. A report comes at the end.

**************************************************'
Last Saturday it was a meandering drive up Rte. 202 to Rte. 2 to Athol. We were going to the Market Basket (a supermarket) because they advertised eggs for 69 cents/dozen. Wouldn't you drive 22 miles one way for that? No? Well, I figured that if I saved $5, I would cover my gas. Of course, I don't think I used $5 in gas. Today I'll be filling up with gas for the 4th time -- and I've had the car since November. I do love my hybrid!




****************************************************
Yesterday was one of those days ... it's the little things that get you. I went in for routine blood tests -- fasting. This time I remembered and drank water before I went. (I had a phlebotomist speak sharply to me because I was dehydrated and she couldn't find the vein. Hmpf!) That was also lucky because the doc had ordered a urine analysis.  So I dutifully grabbed my not Tiffany cup and went into the powder room. I missed. Completely missed. How is it that I have done hundreds of these things and I miss?? I have to go back on Monday. She gave me a clear plastic bag for the cup. I declined the giant sign to hang around my neck reading "BRINGING IN PEE. STEP ASIDE."

*****************************************************
Pouf Parade Progress

******************************************************
Yesterday ended very well, however. Cyndi gave me a ticket to see/hear the Post Modern Jukebox company at the Calvin Theatre in Northampton. It was wicked cold walking from the parking garage at the Thornes Market, but it was well worth it. They are fantastic singers and musicians. And the tap dancer was a marvel and a ball of energy. They performed for almost 2 hours straight and it was wonderful.  Thank you, Cyndi!

(Tap dancing is my all time favorite -- even more so than ballet.)

*****************************************************

Brattleboro Museum and Art Center

It didn't take Ann and me long to figure out that we had gone right past Nancy W's house! I had written her address down correctly, but I had it wrong in my head. I'll have to remind Ann of her co-pilot duties because she should have re-read my notes. (I had the museum address and 6 top restaurant picks in Brattleboro along with Nancy's address on a piece of paper.)

We chatted along nicely until we reached the Brattleboro Museum. It's a former train station and as you walk in, the first thing you notice is the marble steps leading to huge windows which look down onto train tracks. In fact, while in the classroom/poetry area, we suddenly heard train crossing bells and I wondered if it were a motion sensitive sound effect. No, as I looked out the window, I saw the gates on a train crossing going down and that was followed shortly by a passenger train. People got off the train, the traffic backed up onto a picturesque bridge, and then the train left. It was very exciting.

The first exhibit, called Luscious (a celebration of paint), spoke to me. I think they knew I was coming. Here's one of the paintings from Luscious.



Yes, that's what you think it is: two jelly doughnuts!





Loaded by Lauren Olitsky

Loaded really is loaded with fabric strips, strings, glitter, paint applied with a trowel, paint splattered, etc. Ann wondered how the artist knew when it was done and Nancy W. agreed that is always a problem. I know when it's done -- I want to start deleting things!


Minis -- Approximately 5 inches square -- with texture from the Open Call exhibit. I didn't get the artist's name

 Our favorites from the Open Call NXNE 2017 exhibit were by Elizabeth Panzer. My favorite was Queen Anne's Lace which is an archival pigment print. Another of hers which is just stunning is poppies in a double exposure archival pigment print.





Change Your Mind by Crolyn Enz Hack

This picture of Change Your Mind only shows you half of the installation. If you look above and to your left there is a tube connected to a huge suspended "flower" made out of lights and mesh. The purple that you see is painted screens and fabric wire. It had its own little room, so you were surrounded by the sculpture!


Radishes by Tina Swift (taken in Athol, Massachusetts)

from Windows to Creative Expression: Young Poets and Artists from the Poetry Studio




I forget which installation this is from but it's netting that is used to cover tobacco in the field. The stitching, which is not easy to see is a silver thread. It's much prettier and arresting in person. My photo does not do it justice.

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Tomorrow, Sunday, is the Super Bowl. I have to have all of my housework done by then so I can watch the commercials. I do like to watch the end of the game, but the game itself is really too long for me. That might be a good time to be sewing.

Before that however, I have to figure out how to do the knitting club, a church annual meeting, and a lecture by the Irish Club. I'm beginning to realize that I still love history (whose ever it is). Of course, the tea and scones after could be part of the attraction! And the live Gaelic music ... (insert big grin in anticipation).

Hmmm ... Guess I'll have to put my laundry in first thing in the morning. They really hate it when I go to work in my underwear.

2 comments:

  1. Great story Tina. I like those squares with the flowers on them, and the poetry. I love radishes but down our way I don't see them very often. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.