Sunday, September 4, 2016

So Far, It Has Been a Fantastic Labor Day Weekend

Yesterday, Naomi and I decided to go to see the Smith College Museum of Art. Not only did I have a free pass for both of us from the Friends of the Jones Library (thank you very much!), we found a parking space right in front of the museum!

Since you have already been there with me, faithful reader, this will start with a very truncated version of the artist-commissioned women's bathroom. Naomi seemed a little uncomfortable when I walked into the men's room, so I figured she wouldn't want to wait for me to take pictures of that.

Yup, this is one of the sinks -- all were different, but using the same colors.


 Below is the wall as you enter. The sinks are on the right.



Below is the wall all the way at the back.



Needless to say, this is one of the toilets. All are different. Yes, this is after I used it.




 What follows is a random selection of items that I liked. The sculpture above is thought to be a base for a table.
This is one of my favorite benches. It is inlaid and carved.










The box above shows Solomon with the two mothers who were fighting over a baby. The other side does not have a story. This is a reliquary which was used to hold bones of a saint. So I'm wondering if it was empty? Or did they just dump the bones?

Naomi and I rounded off the afternoon with a lovely lunch on the open air covered patio at Esselen. It was a fine time.
****************************************************

Another fine time today was a wonderful feast at Jon and Farah's house next door. I got to meet some lovely people and we all sat on their patio and ate. The weather couldn't have been better -- it was about 78 F. with a breeze. I feel very pampered (and full!). The conversation was great.

I noted that I have until tomorrow to wear white pants and a young woman from India couldn't believe that I was serious when I said, "No white after Labor Day." I did explain that modern women don't go by that any more. I proceeded to reminisce about when I was young and went to church wearing white gloves and a hat. John remembers his mother wearing that ... boy, do I feel old!

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

I have a new Netflix obsession: Crossing Lines. The only actor's name that I can remember is Donald Sutherland (he's the big boss). It's a group of crime fighters who traverse Europe and the Netherlands catching bad guys who commit their crimes (usually serial types of killers) in many countries. The theory is that they go undetected because none of the police forces in the various countries share their information with one another. The personalities that they have given the various characters are interesting.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

You know ... I went to look back at the pictures of the bathroom and I have been puzzling about the fish hooks and sea theme. Then it dawned on me. "Give a woman a fish and you have fed her. Teach her to fish and she is set for life." I guess Smith College has taught a lot of women to fish!

1 comment:

Once approved, your comment will appear.