Monday, July 18, 2016

Monday Night Musings

While washing dishes tonight, with blueberry muffins baking, I had time to think.  

Earlier, I had been horrified to read that a 15 year old boy who was drunk went looking for a friend (at Noon time) and knocked on the door of the wrong house. Somehow, he broke a pane of glass on the door, so the resident (not his friend) shot him dead.

This happened in Chicopee -- 20 minutes from here. What on earth would make that man so fearful that he would shoot through a door killing someone? Did he really think that someone at noontime was going to hurt/rob him? He must have thought that -- why else would someone use deadly force if not in fear for his life?

And this is where we are in America today. We are all afraid of our neighbors. This morning I had to usher out a man who didn't know the Library was closed until 1 p.m. on Mondays. When I told him the Library was closed, he just looked at me intently. At that point, I didn't know if he had mental health issues or if he was hostile. I got an urgent vibe from him. At that moment, my adrenaline started running and I said, "You need to leave now," and crowded him with my bulk, herding him toward the door. He was bigger than I am, but adrenaline makes you do weird things and I got him to leave without incident. (The book delivery guy had let him in.) 

I guess it's the senseless violence that seems to be happening every other day that is putting us all on edge. Maybe it's the hate speech we hear coming from religious and political "leaders." There certainly is a rise of bullying in adults.

We have so-called adults in this Town who cannot understand the theory of 'agreeing to disagree.' Instead, they have made a career of questioning the professional credentials and integrity of the Library Director, our architects working on a design for an expanded Library fit for the 21st century, and the Board of Trustees. Nobody knows the finances, square footage, and needs of the Town better than these narrow minded bullies.

On to happier thoughts.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

"Let's take a picture of all three cats!" she said gaily.


I had wondered why Emily had laughed. Apparently, cats don't pose.


Yes, Jackson is in motion. They won't stop, I tell you!

Yes, Lily is being hypnotized by a kitty treat. Those things must be really good because she sat there for quite a while.

And here's Lola being her usual suspicious self. I am privileged (after all, I am her Grandma) to have Lola come out and see me. One cat sitter was not sure Lola existed because she always hid.

Emily and I had a fine time last Friday. After a rough week at work, I drove to Worcester because I needed my kid and grand kitties. Emily and I went to dinner and then to see Ghostbusters. It was a very funny movie and I enjoyed it thoroughly -- no reality for me!! It was a bit loud so I would advise bringing ear plugs. (The weapons that splat the ghosts are very loud.) The only harm that came to humans was in the form of green slime which seemed to be icky but did not create any lasting damage.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

The blueberry muffins are yummy, by the way. I used a low carbohydrate mix and added blueberries grown next door. Boy, are those blueberries good!! (I had to taste the muffins because I'm bringing them into work and I had to be sure they are good.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Last Wednesday night after work, I went to a small breakfast place in North Amherst for a "wine and painting" night. Iced tea worked well for me as we tried to imitate Georgia O'Keefe's Jimson Weed.


I'll never be mistaken for an artist, but I really did enjoy myself. I especially like the teacher, Teri Magner, who is a retired art teacher. She has a fool proof method to enable you to finish in two hours. I like it! 

By the way, that's the palette under the easel. It's a plasticized sheet which I imagine can be wiped off and used again. Of course, we used acryllics which dry quickly.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I did a bit of cooking yesterday (Sunday).


That's wild caught salmon in front and a crustless quiche with ham and tomato in the back.

This is chicken soup with baby bok choy and other stuff. I cheated because the chicken is from a rotissiere chicken. I also made a pot roast in the crock pot and hard boiled eggs for my snacks at work. So now I have lunches for work and I just have to heat up suppers.

Although I miscalculated today and had a salad with steak pieces for lunch. That was good but I was ravenous at 4 p.m. I was really happy that my blood sugar was 95 (100 is good), but I was hungry. I think I'll have to figure out an afternoon snack!

Time for bed for me. Good night all.









1 comment:

  1. Loved your Jimson Weed painting --- sorry I missed that. I remember Teri and loved her creativity and the projects her students did when I was in and out if Fort River school. I am determined to do one of her wine and painting gigs in the next few months! 😊💐🌻


    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.