Friday, April 18, 2014

Palm Springs, I Love You

So last Wednesday was one of the landscapers' days.  I hear a roar and Mom says, "Is that a plane?"  It was Miguel or Jose, I couldn't tell because he had a full face mask and sun hat, roaring around in a little truck with a tank on it.  Since he had a full hazmat suit on (as Dave Barry says, I'm not making this up!), I screamed, "Close the doors!"  Mom has a floor to ceiling sliding glass door looking out into the common area which was about to be sprayed with gene busting chemicals.  Let us mark this down as the only time my mother did what she was told.  (Don't beat me, Momma, I still love you.)

*****************************************************************

The evening news is on and since Easter falls on 4-20, a local burger purveyor has changed his ad a bit.  (Apparently, 420 is a reference to marijuana.)  He is selling a God Burger and on Easter, you buy one and get one free.  So this year's  traditional picture of Jesus holding the burger is also holding a joint.  The store owner say, "If he was holding a chalice of wine, you wouldn't be here talking to me."

Well, I don't know about that.  Do we have it on good authority that Jesus ate burgers?  I know for a fact that he didn't eat cheeseburgers! No self respecting Jew would.

*****************************************************************

The news also informed us that the Honey Baked Ham store had a line out the door and around the block with people picking up over 500 hams.  They expected to sell more tomorrow.  Who knew, first of all, that there is a whole store with nothing but Homey Baked Hams?  Secondly, how do they survive when it's not Easter?

******************************************************************

Everybody keeps asking what my plans are while I'm here.  Here it is: nothing.  I'm having a great time doing nothing.  Although, as you may have noticed, I love observing people and things.

The other day, we brought Mom's car to the car wash.  That always fascinates me when I'm here because they run the car through a quick wash and then many handsome Mexican guys swarm all over the vehicle like scrubbing and drying bees making honey.  It's a grand sight to behold (two or more cars are done at a time) as you recline in a chair next to the fountain, surrounded by blooming flowers.  The cars are under a shade and the outdoor patio is shaded.  It's like being at a mini resort where they take care of your car.

When we got there, they always try to up-sell you.  "You need a full detail," the first guy said.  "Oh, I don't have time for that," Mom replied.  The second guy said, "How much time you got?"  I laughed, but as we walked away, Mom told me that a full detail takes all day and costs about $300.  Holy crow! For $300 I think they should throw in a day at that Spa (Agua Caliente, aka Hot Springs) and lunch!

*******************************************************************

We can hear lots of sirens tonight.  It's the second weekend of the Coachella Music Festival.  They had one young attendee die from suspected alcohol and illegal drug poisoning.  Let's hope there are not more. They expected 10,000 people.  Needless to say, we ate at home tonight.  (Yesterday we had dinner at the Camelot Theatre -- no show, just dinner.)

*******************************************************************

I was deeply saddened to break the strap on my gold lame sandals so we went to Marshall's to replace them.  I was delighted to get gold sneakers and some strappy sandals that were adequate.  I got a purse which Mom declared won't "go" with anything but I like it.  I nearly swallowed my tongue when the cashier said, "That will be $125 please."  It turns out the adequate sandals were $49.95! It never occurred to me! The cashier said huffily, "Well, they are Coach sandals."  At Marshalls no less. I put the sandals back.

********************************************************************
There are LOTS of ads for plastic surgery here. The last ad on tv promised to melt fat away.  Do you slosh when you get up off the table?




1 comment:

  1. LOL If the cashier had said that me I would have "Well Boo Hoo.!" LOL Did I tell you when I went to see my poor late sister in England I had forgotten to take my thongs with me (Flip Flops) so she took me to a huge garden centre near her place that sold everything including the kitchen sink. So we went to the shoe department and looked around but I couldn't see any ordinary rubber thongs so a Cashier came up and asked if she could help so I told her what I was looking for and she promptly told me that the underwear section was over there. She was not impressed when I laughed out loudly and said to my sister - "Can you imagine wearing rubber thongs around your bum?" My poor sister said to the Cashier - "Oh don't mind her my dear she's from Australia and thongs there are worn on the feet." LOL So the cashier looked at me and said - "we call them flip flops over here." Well Duh!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.