Saturday, March 31, 2018

Reentry

So, yes, we did arrive at Logan Airport on Wednesday after a delay at JFK in NY. We had to de-plane and get on another plane due to "a mechanical problem." I always feel better with a different plane in those circumstances, don't you?

Mercifully, Emily decided to drive me straight home from the airport and that was wonderful. After a nap, she happily headed to her house to cuddle with her kitties.

Knowing that I would be returning to a house with no 'refrigerator food,' I picked up a couple of things at the supermarket on the way home (like eggs, hamburger and cream for my coffee). That was a good thing because I spent much of the next two days trying to get the internet working again. 

I had put the internet on "seasonal hold" and had called Comcast from California to stop the hold the previous week That did not work. (Apparently, the automated menu options do not relate to a seasonal hold, but it leads you to believe that it does.) The young woman said it would be 24 hours before the hold was off -- and the internet would work. Nope. The next Comcast guy said, 'No, it takes 48 hours. Sorry for the misinformation.' The third Comcast guy (after 48 hours) said, 'Does your TV work?' Well, yes, it does. 'So obviously, it's an internet problem.' Ya think??? He transferred me to another guy who got it to work. I still can't reach Netflix though. That's another job for Emily, but I may have broken her with the travel ...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I noticed water on the floor in the bathroom. As in a puddle. It turns out, there was a leak coming from under the sink. Congratulating myself that long ago I had put all of my 'under the sink stuff' in three plastic basins, I quickly emptied the cabinet and put a big bowl under the drip. It was dripping at a rate of slightly more than 8 ounces an hour. I put in a voice mail to Mr. Cooper (the most reliable plumber in the world!) and switched to a larger basin to catch the drips. I stayed up way too late wondering if it would overflow during the night (it didn't). Luckily, it wasn't the pipe, but rather I need a new faucet. He'll bring that next week some time. And I don't care when because I don't have to worry about getting back to work. Woo hoo! (And that is the story of how I was on the phone with Comcast, and at the same time, letting the plumber in.)

But wait, there's more. Having thought that my online mail forwarding order was set to expire March 15, I happily packed up two flat rate packages of fabric and books and sent them home 10 days ago. Seven days ago, I checked at the Post Office (because I got something forwarded to Mom's house) and it said "May." I have no idea how that happened. The only thing I can think of is that it's a drop down menu and thinking I had selected March, I hit May instead. So the supervisor at the PO in Palm Springs had me fill out a form and STOP the forwarding order as of that day.

Flash forward to yesterday (Friday). Deb's on the phone telling me that the two packages I had mailed to myself in Amherst and an envelope from my accountant had been forwarded to California. I go to the Amherst Post Office and the supervisor there says, 'We do not have any stop forwarding notice here.' We fill out the SAME form I filled out in Palm Springs. By the way, all of this is AFTER we got a note from LuLu, the letter carrier in Palm Springs. She wanted to know if I wanted to stop the forwarding of my mail -- and her hand written note was stapled to a copy of the stop forwarding order. 

The rest of my piddling tales involve a woman stepping on my foot at the supermarket -- it's beyond me how someone of my size can be invisible -- and inconsequential things. But since I have been here, I have been cold and after getting groceries, I was wandering in the parking lot looking for my car in a cold mist of rain.

So now that I'm done feeling sorry for myself on this sunny Saturday, I'll share with you my "new" refrigerator door.


The rest of the fridge has more food but I can't quite figure out how to move the shelves again. When I emptied the fridge and cleaned it, I moved the shelves and now they seem immovable. They are definitely not in the right spots. 

Old habits are hard to break. I have to buy snacks for the artists' reception on Thursday and I thought, "I wish I didn't have to go on a Saturday when everybody in the world is at Costco." Silly me, I can go any day of the week! Woo hoo!

And now that I don't have to do cooking for a week, I don't know what to do with myself. Oh, wait. I'll be dusting up 4 inches of dust from the bakers' rack and vacuuming and ... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.