Sunday, June 12, 2016

We Have Seen the Enemy and They Is Us! -- Pogo

Yes, it's Sunday and I'm supposed to be out in the garden doing more weeding. I did some yesterday and almost couldn't move in the afternoon. It's, believe it or not, 62 degrees and windy which means CHILLY!

Anyway, Emily and I had a grand time yesterday.  Lunch (below):



Needless to say, the above burgers are before cooking. Each is a quarter pound of hamburger with shredded cheese in the middle bound by a strip of bacon with a peppered top on the bacon. 

We went to see "The Nice Guys" at the movies and I thought it was an instant cult classic of rollicking good fun. (I didn't like the violence, but even that became very campy.) Emily didn't like it and in fact said, "That was an awful movie!" She said she didn't understand it -- probably because it was set in 1977. There were references to Laurel and Hardy, references to Miami Vice, and a lot of pop culture that I remember but is just weird to 30 somethings.

Another scene from my unwritten movie: Emily and I sit at the bar at the Texas Roadhouse in Hadley. I order a tequila shot (Patron of course) and the very noisy bar goes silent. What really happened was the 30 something on my left said, "Really? You go, Girl!" Emily had to say, 'Oh, she sips it.' So I asked Emily what the big deal is when I order a shot and she informed me because everyone thinks I'm going to knock it back. In my opinion, the only reason people do that is to get drunk and I like to taste the tequila and not get drunk. (Besides, who can afford to get drunk in a bar any more? That one shot was $7.50! Maybe there should be senior citizen discounts for shots because we need it more and we know how to drink.)

We picked up a few things and Home Depot and I now have LED lights in the living room. A while back I let some young bright eyed kid install energy saving lights. I haven't been able to see anything since. Hopefully, this will be better. Shortly after installing the new bulbs, I was cleaning the papers off my kitchen counter in order to recycle them. Yeah, yeah, it took me over an hour and I still have a pile to go through. I think bills should be like the beginning of mission impossible: after you read them, they go poof! and disappear.

Anyway, among the detrius I find an envelope from the electric company. I have to say I HATE, not dislike, HATE these missives. It's the one where 'the perfect electricity customer' uses X amount of kw hours, you use this amount, and your neighbors use this amount. I hate being compared to my neighbors! I don't give a flying f ... well, you know ... what my neighbors use. Do they take into consideration that my neighbors don't read? Do they factor in the neighbors who are too snooty to own a TV? Huh, huh, huh? 

I have been catching up on Scandal on Netflix. It's supposedly outrageous, but there have been so many Presidents with mistresses (starting with Eisenhower in my memory), that it's not really all that outrageous. Poor Melly -- the First Lady -- has to embody all of the bad traits and misery of all of the previous First Ladies. (She lost a child, she drinks, she goes a little crazy, etc.)

Well, I'm off to make shimp fettucine alfredo. If anything happens before 60 Minutes, I'll let you know!


https://www.facebook.com/CBSBoston/videos/10154250504017010/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.