Saturday, June 4, 2016

Gilty Pleasures

Yes, I spelled that correctly. I spent 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. gilding a hand made frame. Bill Myers and his assistant, Tatiana, milled and built the frames. (It's about 9.5 inches wide and about 11.5 inches tall.) Each was a bit different and mine was less ornate than some which was fine with me. However, this gilded frame seems to call out for an icon or at least a painting of someone with a halo!


The frame is really too shiny, even though I kind of like the bling. It needs to be burnished and then sealed with something so that it doesn't tarnish. It's not 24 carat gold, it's gold foil which is a combination of copper and gold.

The workshop was paid for by the Friends of the Jones Library so I got everything for FREE! (The packets of gold foil are about $50.) We used brushes to tap the gold into the crevices. There had been two steps before we saw the frames with gesso and "Nice," which is something tacky that the gold adheres to. I can't wait for my email of directions and products that I need to finish this!

Thank you, Cyndi, for arranging the whole wonderful workshop!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Yup, I'm loving my "as seen on TV" bacon cooker. This is after 8 minutes in the microwave.


Can you say, "Yummy!"?

So, of course, that got me in the mood for supper.


I fried some mushrooms and onions in some of the bacon fat -- to go with a steak! I really am suffering on this WOE (way of eating) -- not! The only real carbohydrates are in the onions and it was my first of the day. 

Yes, the mushrooms are huge! I got them at Costco where everything is BIG. I may go to Aldi's tomorrow and get some ground beef and stuff the mushrooms.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

The Saga of the Mini Blinds -- or How I Am Losing My Mind

I'll try to make this a bit shorter. It was hot. Neither of the two blinds in my bedroom would stay up. I had to lash them to my bureau knobs.

Went to Walmart the next day after measuring the existing blinds and bought two new ones. Both were too small.

Went back to Walmart the next day, exchanged for the right size and added a bathroom mini blind. That one only stays at a 60 degree angle.

Got home and realized it had 2 in the package for the bathroom. Went back to Walmart. No, they were two inch, not two in a package. I didn't want them because they are faux wood and heavy, so I just exchanged them for a credit. That was last night.

Tonight I went to put up the first mini blind in my bedroom. It will not open up. I pull on the cord and nothing happens. The blind stays in the shape of the box (about 4 inches). Somebody is trying to tell me something. I'm sure the first part is, "Put in the hose to the stand alone a.c. unit and forget about mini blinds. But the second part is a mystery. 

#####################################################

Speaking of yesterday, Cyndi and I went to see "Love and Friendship" which is the movie based on Jane Austen's novella, Lady Susan.  It was pretty funny in spots but there wasn't really any plot. Some of the language did not seem right for the period -- it was set in 1871 and the characters seem to speak to frankly about many subjects, particularly affairs of the heart.

But it was colorful and a fun romp. We saw it at the Amherst Cinema and I think there were only 50 seats -- if that -- in the theater. 

They had a really nice filmed promo telling us why they are raising funds to go solar. It was very well produced. But they didn't have another to tell people to turn off their cell phones. I heard at least 3 cell phones go off during the movie. Now I understand being forgetful -- I am the Queen of Forgetful, but geez! Both Cyndi and I had left our phones in our cars. That way you don't need to worry about turning it off. Just about all of the audience seemed to be senior citizens except for Cyndi and 4 young people doing a 'pick your seat' dance. That kind of cell phone oblivion gives us all a bad name. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.