Sunday, January 24, 2016

Savoring Sunday

I'm savoring the last bit of my Sunday before I have to sleep. As always, the weekend was too short.

Yesterday (Saturday), I drove to Worcester to have lunch with Deb, Paul and Emily. We had wonderful seafood and lively conversation. Deb and Paul gave me my Christmas presents which included nice, soft socks and a series of novels signed by the author. The first one is called "Hens and Chickens" and it's by Jennifer Wixson. It definitely will be a departure from my usual murder mystery as it says this is " ... a story about love ...".

After lunch it was on to Emily's house where I got to have 3 cats snoozing on me at once while we watched the snow and TV. Actually, Worcester only got about three inches of snow and Amherst did not get one flake! That is a huge difference from NYC (about 20 inches) and Silver Spring, Maryland (about 28 inches!).

Emily and I watched "The Imitator" which is about Alan Turing who cracked Enigma -- the Nazi code during WWII. It was an amazing story and very sad at the end. He was treated very badly. In 2013, Queen Elizabeth II posthumously awarded him honor, but it would have been better when he was alive.

This morning I buzzed back to Amherst in time for church. I was a half hour early but I did not go home first because I was worried that I would be late. I have to use the elevator since my sacroiliac went out and the elevator has you walk past the choir. I feel it's bad form to be late!

Ann and I had a yummy lunch here. I made "spaghetti" using a spaghetti squash and it came out very well. The whole squash takes 18 minutes in the microwave. Of course, I had made meatballs and eggplant parmesan and a green salad. We feasted like queens. With tiaras. Not the other kind of queen.

After lunch, Ann and I watched an Indian movie on TV. As in tea and rajahs, not as in bow and arrows. I'll be darned if I can remember or replicate the name because it was the anglicized version of Hindi. It was very entertaining, especially reading the subtitles, and it was after the whole story was done (while the credits rolled) that they began the singing and dancing that is so characteristic of the Baliwood movies.  Wow, do they ever love color in their dance costumes! It was fun to watch and made us want to see a 'real' Baliwood movie because there would be more singing and dancing.  

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Last week I got a new garbage disposal. The old one had quit. I was very happy to see the shiny new disposal. It worked! Once. Yesterday, I tried to use it for the second time and it did not work. Yes, I tried the reset button and I stuck a broom handle in it. No dice. So I left a message for them to come fix it tomorrow.

Meanwhile, the day before that, I had the beginnings of a new crown on a tooth. I was in the dentist's chair for two hours!! This is getting to be ridiculous. I spent 50 minutes in the chair for the root canal before that. And I have to go back in two weeks for the actual crown. Bummer, eh?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.