Saturday, August 8, 2020

More of the Same

Sunday, August 2, 2020

Checking under the kitchen sink today, I ascertained that I do not need to buy sponges nor a new mop sponge. I also found a new Keurig charcoal filter. Yup, cleaned the Keurig stem to stern, while the load of towels dried, and while the dishwasher chugged along. I scrubbed and disinfected the kitchen sinks while I was at it.

Needless to say, I am feeling much better. Today is the first day with no cold symptoms, just a bit of sinus pain but that's because it's raining. I made it rain by watering my container basil and tomato plant.


This is Phyllis' lily -- and her photo -- I love the really dark color!

5555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555555

Tuesday, August 4

While making Maria Emmerich's ramen recipe, I learned a lot of new things.

1. Grate your ginger first. It takes a while.
2. You can't use Phyllis' giant zuccini for successful zoodles -- it wouldn't fit into the zoodle maker!
3. If you're trying to cook a soft egg in the microwave (even after you break up the yolk) always cover it. (Yes, cleanup on the microwave in aisle 1!)
4. Finally, no the chicken broth is not dark. You picked the box of beef broth. (It still tasted great.)

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&


Back Yard Blooms


Tuesday. We have another tornado watch. It's raining a bit but the storm doesn't look virulent. I really wanted to go out but "they" are telling us to hunker down until 9 p.m. At this point, it's the TV weather people saying that. This storm is coming from the southeast, which sounds like Connecticut. They had a touchdown of a tornado last time. Woo hoo! They just cancelled our tornado watch (5:30  p.m.).

However, the power went off for two hours starting at 8 p.m. We lucked out because some people in the neighborhood were without power for over 14 hours.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
Thursday

The power went out last night (Wednesday) and I was a bit frantic because I only had 32 % charge on my cell phone. Rhonda up the street texted me and said she had a charger with more than one port. So I took my mini LED lantern and walked two houses away. Wow, was it ever dark! Couldn't even see any stars. We quickly figured out I didn't bring the right cable but I still stood on her front porch talking. That is until -- oh, my God! -- a skunk let loose. I quickly walked away. I guess I'm always interrupting skunks' naps.

As I walked home, suddenly the hair on the back of my neck stood up and it felt as if someone was right behind me. I yelped a bit only to sense someone running in the middle of the street. He did have a light, but I didn't see that until he passed me. And to further jangle, every 6 seconds or so, he blew out his air in a big snort. (Why was he doing that? someone asked. How the hell do I know?) I thought he must be mentally unstable to be going for a run during a black out and running in the middle of the street. 

The power was only off for about a half hour. Just as I was going into my garage to see if I could open the door (and charge my phone in the car), the lights came on. That is also when I discovered that I had left the car in the driveway thinking that I would go out later. I didn't. Oh, well.

*****************************************************
Thursday was a busy day for me: Went to Bed Bath and Beyond for a battery for my bathroom scale; went to my PO Box; went to the pharmacy; went to the grocery store (only for mushrooms and it's right next to the pharmacy); went to Target.


(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

Went to Target. As I was approaching the electronics section one of the two 12 year old  (TYO) was saying to a male customer , "And an old lady was yelling at me." I'm thinking not all old ladies are hard of hearing.

Me: I need a battery powered phone charger.
TYO 1: Like for ... ?
Me: If the power goes out, I want to charge my Android.
TYO 1: Oh, you need an external battery. (Isn't that what I just said?)

Then he turns to TYO 2 and says: She needs an external battery to charge her phone. Show her where they are. 

The hand over is because another customer -- a guy -- showed up.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Friday

I just spent 45 minutes scrubbing my white garage door with a hard bristle brush and Mr. Clean. The &^%$Lawnmowing Guys had sprayed the door with grass clippings. They hadn't washed off in the storm(s) so I had to do it. It was as if the grass clippings had been glued on. I am not amused. And it's still not right but that was all I could take in the sun.


Saturday, 8-8-20

I finally decided to check out my new phone charger and it wasn't fully charged. The guy in the store didn't bother to tell me that I needed a USB cable that plugs into an electrical outlet. I found one that goes to a camera, but I was really ticked that he didn't mention that. I still like the cover. It's mostly white with a purple swirl. Just now during the most critical part of a Law and Order, the TV has frozen and then gone to black. Oh, it's only on this channel. So I'll never know if the good guys win. 

####################################################

On Friday I picked up a puck, which is a wifi gizmo that the Munson Memorial Library lends out. It creates a wifi network. It seems to be much faster than my Xfinity network (they are also my cable TV). My Xfinity network has been "unstable." They are also known as Comcast, btw. I spent about a half hour on the phone with customer service and the end result was 'normally we would send a technician out, but due to the pandemic, we only send one if there is no service.'

While I waited for Sue, the Branch Librarian, I enjoyed the garden and snapped some pictures.































I had been thinking for a while that I wanted to find my bocce balls. Yesterday, they jumped out at me in the garage. Don't be silly, they are in a nifty black carrying case. No, there were balls rolling all over.

Sofia (next door) and I played a couple of games on my front lawn. The grass is too high so we had to put the white ball on a pile of leaves so we could see it. I'll have to find something else to raise it up next time. The kid beat me. Every. Time.

It was kind of like playing Words with Friends. I never win.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm having great fun with my new wifi mouse that I picked up at Target. Yes, I had one years ago, but it was kind of kaput. This one is bigger and it's teal. :)

It's almost Sunday (11:53 p.m.) so I will close here. I'm pretty much at the end of my productivity although I might get the clothing out of the dryer. I'll empty the dishwasher and dish drainer tomorrow. 

I hope you all are having a great time. I have been having a good time making some of Maria Emmerich's recipes. The trouble is, they don't look as beautiful as in her book so I haven't taken any pictures. Maybe I should take a picture of the pictures in her cook book! They taste great.

Cheers!








1 comment:

Once approved, your comment will appear.