Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Spring Is Here

The birds are singing and the air is perfumed with fruit tree flowers.
















Obviously, you have figured out that none of the plants above are fruit trees. But I have to say, the fragrance is not only intoxicating, but also allergy-inducing. I am at my snarfly best lately. At one point, I looked in the mirror to see that I looked like I was crying -- wet eyes are right up their with my list of favorite things. Not. 

(No, I don't usually take allergy pills unless I'm going to fly.)

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((


Do they have jalapeno M & M's in Massachusetts?

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

From the California Today Newsletter, written by Jill Cowan:


March Fong Eu was a barrier-busting California public servant who just broke one more.
California State Archives
She once took a sledgehammer to a toilet wrapped in chains on the steps of the Capitol to protest the fact that women had pay-to-use toilets in public buildings when men’s urinals were free.
And that’s not even the coolest thing about March Fong Eu.
She was a trailblazing lawmaker whose election in 1966 made her one of the first two women of color to serve in the State Legislature. When she was later elected California secretary of state, she was the first woman in that role — not to mention the first person of Chinese ancestry elected to statewide office.
Over the course of her long career in public service, she bulked up the state’s archives, expanded voter registration and championed women in politics so that men wouldn’t be the only ones making decisions about things like reproductive health and equal pay.
“Men will listen only if we speak clearly,” she said in a 1973 talk, according to a digital exhibit compiled by the secretary of state’s office.
This week, a little more than a year after her death at age 95, she became the first Asian-American woman (and almost the first woman) to have a state building named after her — the March Fong Eu Secretary of State building, at 11th and O Streets, in Sacramento.
“For years, March Fong Eu sought to unify the operations of the secretary of state’s office under one roof,” Secretary of State Alex Padilla said in a news release. “It is only fitting that the office complex March Fong Eu fought so hard to build bears her name.”

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes, I remember having to pay to use public toilets. I don't know about the men's rooms of that era. But it gave us a sense that they would be clean. I don't know if that was silly or not. There was usually one free stall. At any rate, we were taught to never sit on a public toilet seat. (I later found out in the South, they had paper covers for the seats.)

Yes, my daughters informed me that you cannot get VD from a toilet seat. I already knew that. What they have not taken into account is open sores ... enough of that, you get the idea.  This whole thing came up one day when I discovered that my daughters regularly use their foot to flush in a public rest room.

I'm just wondering if when they are 64, and tippy, if they will still use that method.

######################################

And I have finally finished Grey Day. There is some more quilting, but it's too early to go outside and take another picture. So you will have to imagine it!




Cheers! Tina

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting again Tina. Laughed out loud about the toilets as my mother always told me not to sit on strange toilet seats too so now I have to hover?? You get the picture LOL.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.