Wednesday, October 17, 2018

October 17 is National Pasta Day!

And I know that is true because Sandra Boynton told me so on FaceBook. I am celebrating by not eating pasta, but if Mom has some, she may give me a bite. Evil grin.

As usual, I am not up to date on posting, but that's the great thing about pictures: they don't get stale. So here's my semi random collection ...


Last Friday, I bemusedly watched the clouds rolling in. This was the morning and clouds have produced no rain so many times, I didn't think much of the clouds. However, by late evening, the downpour began. I have never seen it rain so hard here and at the end of a very fierce lightning storm, Palm Springs had accumulated almost one inch of rain. (Last year, they had 1.42 inches of rain for the whole year, but that is still drought conditions.)

******************************************************
Lee Anne is back from her stint as a guest at a wedding so we played pickle ball last night. We like it when the sun goes down. Last night it was very colorful. 


*****************************************************

On Sunday, Mom and I went to see the Crawling Babies, which are an outdoor installation opposite the Palm Springs Art Museum. The Babies are by Cerny.




The Babies don't have faces, it's a vertical bar code which is part of the artist's comment on dehumanization.


Main entrance to the Palm Springs Art Museum, with my back to the fence surrounding the Crawling Babies. (We enter from the right where there is a ramp and elevator to the main floor.)

Before we went in, the PS Water company took our picture and gave us free reusable water bottles!



And, much to my delight, the ongoing glass sculpture exhibit had changed!

This was my favorite.





For some reason, I see this as a portrait of the artist's mother when her mother was a young girl. I really like it.

I also love baskets. I can imagine the woman laboring to make these exquisite baskets.





This "basket" below is huge -- about 8 feet top to bottom. (Is that two radii?) It is made up entirely of crushed soda and beer cans. 
Stupidly, I saw the heading "Basket" on the wall caption and thought it did not pertain to this. So I have no information. But it's quite a sight!


Below is another favorite. I sat on a bench with Mom and we just gazed at it for a long time. It's all hand woven. How was that done? To me it's a masterpiece and reminds me of my favorite Dali melting clocks.





I'm not a big fan of Dale Chilhuly's later works such as this one on the bottom of the picture -- it reminds me too much of snakes. (I do like his flowers on the Bellagio ceiling though.) Anyway, I posted this picture so Lee Anne can see the yellow wall thing on the top left. It doesn't move, but as you move an optical illusion makes you think the squares have moved. (Remember, if you click on the picture, it will enlarge.)

These guys always mystify me. Maybe one day I'll find the explanatory card ...


Finally, I have a really bad picture for you, but it's an object that I love.

It's in the Modernism section. Now I have to go back and get a better picture. I have a lot more pictures, but this process of uploading them is tedious. And Mom needs her computer. 

Ciao! Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.