Saturday, May 19, 2018

It's Saturday and All's Quiet


Thank you to Cyndi for the carnation, and thank you to Farah for the table cloth from Dhaka!

Yes, it really is that green outside. Luckily, the lawn mowing guys came yesterday. Not only was the grass shin high, but there still was one section too wet to mow. Nobody wanted to see that honkin' big mower mired in mud!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

A bit of fiction:

Grumbling to herself because she suddenly realized that she had been cold all day, she noticed the chill more in the cellar where she was loading a wash into the washer. "I should be used to this wonderful New England weather, " she thought. But she was particularly annoyed that on the 87 degree days (almost a month ago!!), she had no air conditioning. Yesterday, after getting an expensive mini split a.c. finally installed, it was only 65 outside and there was no need to use it. And today it was not only raining, but a chilly 54 degrees outside.

Looking over at the dryer she saw flannel pajamas washed and neatly stacked. She had told herself that since she would be storing her winter clothes in the basement, she would leave them until she brought her other heavy clothes down. Then it dawned on her: put on warmer pj's and throw what you are wearing into the wash. Quickly changing out of her slacks, she looked up at the window over the dryer as she took her shirt off.

Noticing movement, she focused and jumped. Two eyes were looking at her naked torso. She quickly put on the pajama top and looked again. Nothing. Then as she replayed the image in her mind, she realized that it was not human. In fact, it had been a very red fox.

"I wonder why a fox would look into my basement window," she mused. "Could he have been curious?" She couldn't believe that a fox would be curious about a human's structure, so she chalked it up to his seeing motion and wondering if it was food.

Carting the clean dry load upstairs, she thought, "I'll make something in the oven. That will warm me up."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Truth:

The Belle's Biscuits (recipe by Kristie Honneycut Sullivan) are especially delicious right out of the oven slathered with Kerrygold butter.

######################################################

While I'm worried that my newly planted tomato starters are shivering and about to drown from the rain, the lettuce in the back yard are happily dancing in the ridiculously cold, rainy weather. All of my veggies are in containers. I put the tomatoes on the south side (front of the house) and the lettuce in the north side (back of the house). It worked well for a while. Actually, I have harvested lettuce and parsley three times now ...

The violas in the front are very perky and cheery. 

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Yes, I was up and saw the royal wedding. Mostly. I was awake at 4 a.m. and didn't really want to stay awake, but I did. As soon as the priest pronounced them married, I fell asleep. I did not get to see them leave in a carriage. But I have seen that carriage before and I'm sure they didn't modernize it with a motor or anything. 😉

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful reading again Tina you should write a book you'd make lots of money as you are an excellent writer. I love carnations.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.