Wednesday, August 3, 2016

Staycation

I am nearing the end of my Tuesday and Wednesday staycation -- a vacation at home. Originally, I had thought of going to the ocean (two or more hours away) but it rained all morning yesterday. And the more I thought about it, the more I thought I could just remember the ocean without having to drive four or five hours!

But I am having a grand time. I finished my landscape quilt called "Palm Springs Night."


The tape measure is because I'm thinking of having a frame made. (The colors are still too light in this photo because of the Noon time sun outside.)

What do you think of barn board for the frame?


I didn't think my neighbor would appreciate my driving nails in his fence to take a picture, so that's me holding it up.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
I threw in a wash and did some cooking. I made roasted curried cauliflower, sauteed pork chops. I also made the casserole below as I baked low carbohydrate biscuits. (I had biscuits and gravy for lunch yesterday.) The biscuits were made with almond flour and they tasted good but next time I will omit the salt. 

A Really  Nifty Casserole
One small eggplant, peeled and sliced in scant 1/4 inch thick rounds
One large zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch rounds
1 Large onion (optional) cut into slices
1 C. shredded cheese
4 to 6 ounces linguica sliced into rounds (or sausage or no meat)

Spray a casserole dish with oil and cover the bottom with eggplant. Keep layering all of the ingredients (except the meat), using half the cheese for one layer. Top with cheese and linguica.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or so until cooked.

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

Phyllis had brought me some fresh garden vegetables (the zucchini was one). The tomatoes she brought were so good that I munched on them with cheese for supper yesterday. I still have little onions and yellow squash to cook and I think there are a couple of cute carrots in there. It's so wonderful to come home to a bag of veggies! Thank you, Phyllis!! 

######################################################

I now have my umbrella table and chairs on the deck. You guessed it, it looks like rain. I had to struggle too much -- that umbrella is heavy! -- to bring it in for rain. It will have to dry out if it rains. Which reminds me that I have to buy detergent to wash the green off my yellow house. And I have to use the hedge clippers in the back ... guess I'll be staying home this weekend ...

&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

One of my particular pleasures has been to watch the Murdoch Mysteries on Netflix. It's set in Toronto, Canada and it takes place after 1899, which is the year the police station was built. They have a female pathologist which was very unusual for those times and William Murcdoch is a Roman Catholic who is looked down upon because he is "a Papist." Of course, there's a murder in every episode, but there is also a mini morality play. They discuss the 'new' science, including the new moving picture machine. Harry Houdini makes an appearance as does the dissolute Queen's grandson. One of my favorites so far is when Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show comes into town, complete with Annie Oakley (my heroine).
*****************************************************

Many of you know that Red Rose is my favorite tea. It is particularly well suited to making "sun tea." I did this the night before Emily's nail wrap party and I had splendid tea for icing the next day. Today it has only taken a couple of hours starting with cold water. No, I didn't put it in the sun. It's really yummy if you add 0 calorie peach drink. :)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your happy posts! In a world full of sadness, your notes always lift me up. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Once approved, your comment will appear.