Friday, February 14, 2014

Yesterday Was Another Snow Day

Just like a kid in school, I eagerly anticipated the "No work tomorrow" message which did arrive at a civilized hour the day before.  And we've got snow, followed by rain/sleet.  But getting up this a.m. at 0430 (yes, you do know why -- all of you are over 50 -- you know why geezers get up in the night), I look out and it's quietly snowing.  Again.  A lot.  I know, I know, you're all thinking, "Get over it! You live in freaking New England, what do you expect in February?"

I guess what I didn't expect was to turn into every sixth decade person I've known and feel every ache and pain every day.  I didn't expect to dread a change in the weather for the sheer inconvenience of having to clear off your car four times in a day, wear multiple layers of ugly but warm clothing and kill any possibility of a neat hairdo with hats and hoods.

I have to admit, though, I do enjoy being (as my one friend says) a curmudgeon.  Grumbling can be fun.

***************************************************************************

So I spent another whole day yesterday doing nothing except breathing and eating.  I look around the living room at UFOs (Unfinished Objects).  No, I don't think my favorite f-word is in the middle, this is a quilting term after all.  I really should finish them.  But I think they have become like a really good book -- you don't want to finish it because then that experience is done.  Over. Kaput.  But one of these days -- soon -- I'll finish the flag colors quilt and give it to some vet who might like it for when they are watching TV.  Geez.  I know an active service member who might like it.  Why did I begin hand stitching it?  If it only needs binding, it could be a "quick" job.  (In quilting, "quick" is less than a month!)

*****************************************************************************

I am envying a friend who has a new grandbaby.  I am also envying a friend who has a new grandpuppy. Most of my friends here don't have dogs any more and I miss that.  And if they have a grandchild, the kid is some distance away.  I do get a lot of mileage out of the babies that come into the office at work.  While their mothers are busily filling out the paperwork to get a library card, I have great conversations with the babies.  They think I'm a riot.  I'm not sure why, but we usually have a good giggle.

******************************************************************************

This is shaping up to be really boring. I think I'll go back to bed.  Have to be up in less than 90 minutes to get ready to go to work.  Ta ta for now.

*******************************************************************************

Just got word (6:11 a.m.) that there is a late opening at work.  Now I really will go back to bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.