Tuesday, July 16, 2013

What do you do when it's even too late to call Mom in California? Blog, of course.

I'm really happy to say that the negotiating team and management have come to an agreement on a contract.  Now the members of the bargaining unit have to ratify the contract.  We have a 2 per cent COLA (which the professionals have already received without bargaining for it); a 15 cent per hour increase in the shift differential (bringing it to 85 cents per hour) and there's a new $100 per year boot allowance (for maintenance, inspectors, and parking workers).  I'm really happy to report that if the building is closed due to snow and I'm home sleeping and snug and the maintenance workers are shoveling snow -- they will now be paid time and a half.  Hooray!

***********************************************************************
I had a blast at the Democratic Party Latino Caucus last Friday! I now know that Friday at the Democratic Convention is like the Friday at any other convention -- party, party, party!  I had great fun dancing the samba with Fred who had fun twirling me around. (Who knew I could twirl?)  Everyone was having a good time.  After a while, Charlotte and I went to the "Geezer Party" downstairs where the live band (of older guys) were playing oldies.  I mean really oldies -- Etta James.  We enjoyed it thoroughly.

On Saturday, I went to the actual Democratic Convention at the Tsongas Arena in Lowell.  (The night before was at the UMass Lowell Inn and Conference Center.)  It's huge but I had a prime guest seat at the top so I didn't have to climb 8 zillion steps.

On the way in, I took the elevator because while the front is pretty, it has about 50 steps up to the main door.  The door opened and there were two people with their delegates' badges on.  The woman said, "Going down."  Since the elevator would not, could not, go down, another woman getting on said, 'This elevator is going up.'  At this point, I'm beginning to wonder about the caliber of delegate when the first woman says, 'Well, I want to go to the first floor, but apparently this elevator does not go there.'  Luckily, by that time, the elevator had reached the third floor (the top of the arena) so I didn't have to let her wonder how she would get to the first floor (where I had entered).

*************************************************************************

Car trouble So I was preparing to leave UMass Lowell to go to Methuen and visit my relatives.  My car has a "trick" that if you hold the "unlock" button down, all of the windows will open.  It's great for getting some of the summer heat out before you open the door.  I did that and started the car.  I went to put the windows up to get the full benefit of the a.c. and -- only the driver's side window went up.  Click, click, click. Nothing.  So I drove (on a highway) to Methuen getting more and more anxious because big black storm clouds were gathering.  So I get to Sherylann's house and we try to inspect the fuses.  She knew where they are, but you have to be a contortionist to see them.  We used a makeup mirror. Stevie came by (he was rebuilding his back porch) and told me that PepBoys would have a fuse and they could pull the old ones out.  He asked if I had child locks and I said, 'Yes! Please don't flip them -- I had a woman who couldn't get out of the car because someone had put the child locks on!'

So Sherylann and her estranged husband, Tom, pile into the car and we go to PepBoys in Salem, New Hampshire (it's right next to Methuen).To make a long story a bit shorter, the fuses were o.k.  There is a child safety button that looks like a window with an X through it that had gotten pushed.  Boy, is that embarrassing!  I have had that car since 2005 and have not made that goof.  Hopefully, I won't do it again!

**************************************************************************
Being a new member of the Kanegasaki Sister City Committee is fun, sort of.  This coming September will be the 20th anniversary of the signing of the Sister City agreement and the 10th anniversary of the signing of the Library's Sister City agreement.  So we are planning great festivities for the mayor of Kanegasaki and his delegation.  But sometimes I get signed up to do things and I find out about it in the draft minutes.  Nope, not going to do what I have not volunteered to do.  I'm busy!

****************************************************************************
Yesterday, I was helping Lisa make copies of resumes for the hiring committee.  We have an opening in the Children's room.  For future reference, we cannot put the ad on Craig's list.  Working in retail or as a sous chef does not qualify you to deal with hordes of little children, plan programs for teens, and deal with parents who are not watching their little darlings.

Advice to job seekers: Don't have cutesy email addresses with words such as "anathema"  (honest) in them.  Don't put "sojourner" in your email addy -- we got it from the unwarranted apostrophe in your name.  And you might think you are a "supachica," but it's not really a professional appellation.

And, oh yeah.  Do NOT call the Director on Monday (the applications were due on Friday) to try to make an impression.  You made an impression all right.  As soon as she learns your name, you're out of the running.  What part of "no calls" did you not understand?

The good thing about online applications is that now I can't laugh at you when you fill out the application in pencil.  The bad thing about online applications is this program lets you skip parts -- thereby proving that you cannot follow directions which state, 'fill in all items.'  Oh yes, and we can't tell if your writing is illegible.  We mostly use computers, but if you have to scribble a note for your supervisor, it needs to be legible.

***************************************************************************
Yesterday all I did was deal with food. I arranged "coffee and" for the Mass. Board of Library Commissioners' building program info session; arranged for a catered luncheon for 35 for July 22.  That will be yummy! I'm getting the food from Pasta E Basta.  Their name should say enough!  And I have to figure out a luncheon for the Union members' meeting (when they ratify the contract).  I've got it figure out, I just don't want to use my own money (and get reimbursed).  But I guess I'll have to do that.

***************************************************************************

Guess it's time to go back to bed. 430 a.m.  Work is coming soon ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Once approved, your comment will appear.